• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and Bio-Identical Hormones

gracee41

I have an appointment with my integrative doc the first week in December. She would like to put me on bio-identical hormones. We've been discussing this for a while. Initially, I told her I wanted to wait until I could get other things straightened out. Is there anyone taking bio-identical hormones and on methylation therapy as well? If so, do you feel the bio-identical hormones help?

Ema

According to the late RichVanK's theory, removing a methylation cycle block should improve hormone levels as well. However, I don't think he was opposed to using BHRT in the meanwhile since improving methylation could be a somewhat lengthy process.

I am on BHRT and it does help with certain symptoms plus the literature shows that maintaining good estrogen levels in particular is good for the heart and bones and mood. Serotonin, in particular, cannot work properly when estrogen levels are too low.

But, that said, balancing hormones is a tricky business for many and not a one size fits all plan. Be prepared for a bit of trial and error to find the dosages and forms of hormones that work best for you. The options are many which can be overwhelming at times. And too many doctors will just give up after trying one thing instead of troubleshooting because that is so time intensive.

Also it is important to be mindful of how BHRT changes cortisol and thyroid levels. Higher levels of estrogen can expose hypothyroidism as well. This may be transient as your body adjusts to the new dose though.

I would also not forget about the importance of testosterone and DHEA.

gracee41

Thanks Ema for the great feedback. I have had all my hormones tested and would be using a compounded formula. Although, I do realize that doesn't mean there won't be side effects. I am already hypothyroid and taking natural thyroid. I'm not on much at all and actually just decreased my dose. Evidently, taking hydroxyl b12 improved my thyroid which is common I read. I had horribly fast heart palps and couldn't sleep at night. Through trial and error, found it was my thyroid med. Reduced the dose and the palps stopped. Although, still working on getting shortness of breath under control.

sregan

My wife's BHRT doc actually tested her MTHFR snp (which I didn't know because we already had that info from 23 and me) and recommended Folate and B12.

gracee41

At this point, I'm only taking the B12. My next step is to add in a little Dibencozide. Although, I'm still trying to resolve B12 issues. Eventually, I hope to get to the methylfolate. It is definitely a slow process.

Ema

I would also add that I would strongly recommend getting hormones compounded separately rather than together so you can adjust them individually.

I would also suggest starting with bioidentical estrogen patches (Vivelle) and bioidentical progesterone (Prometrium) that you can get from a regular pharmacy as these are usually fully covered by insurance as opposed to the compounded formulas. These work perfectly well for many people and will save a bucket of money.

If oral P makes you groggy, there is an OTC drop that works well for me by Bezwecken called Progon.

I would also avoid transdermal creams because they can accumulate in fatty tissue over time and also because even minuscule amounts can transfer to people/pets that may not need them no matter how careful you are. If you must do a compounded formula, I would ask for sublingual drops instead of a cream.

gracee41

This is definitely something I needed to know. It makes perfect sense since one of the hormones might be off in a compounded formula. I have tried an estrogen and progesterone cream at separate times. This was before my hormone levels were tested. Neither made me feel good. I had no clue BHRT came in a sublingual formula. I prefer sublingual since I've not been able to tolerate much of anything going thru my gut. I will definitely talk to my doc about this. Thanks again Ema.

helen1

I have also benefitted from BHRT, especially with improved mood and sleep. Like Ema I've tried different ones and adjusted amounts, although i did have immediate improvements from the first week. I've been on them for 5 years now.

gracee41

Thanks Helen. It really helps to hear good things about it. I didn't want to take BHRT if a lot of people on methylation were having problems with it.