1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation and 5- HTP

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by topaz, Jul 25, 2011.

1. topaz

topaz Senior Member

Methylation & 5- HTP and enteric coated vitamins

I have just started the Freddd methylation protocol, including the cofactors and SAM-e.

Two questions rolled into one thread:

1. I am considering taking 5-HTP to boost seratonin. Quick google indicates that these can be taken together.

Please let me know if this is not the case or share your experience.

2. Which cofactors/vitamins should be preferably taken in enteric coated form?

I believe that SAMe should be taken as enteric coated pills to survive transit through the stomach.

Does this apply to other vitamins/cofactors on the methylation protocol?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Lala

Lala Senior Member

EU
  3. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, topaz.

As the information cited by Lala says, it's better to take tryptophan than 5-HTP.

The oral supplements in the simplified treatment protocol will survive stomach acid. Note that some are taken sublingually, so that this is not an issue.

Rich
  4. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Topaz,

Only SAM-e comes as enteric coated tablet. There are omega3 oil enteric coated oil caps but that is to stop fishoil burps, not for any other reason. All other items are just as they need to be already. As regards 5 HTP, I would expect Rich's answer to be correct.
  5. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    What's the dosing relationship between 5HTP and tryptophan? I take 300mg 5HTP; how do I figure out an equivalent dose of tryptophan?

Thanks.........Madie
  6. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Madie.

The dosage relationship probably will vary with the person, because the conversion of tryptophan to 5-HTP depends on the availability of tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), and that can vary, since it is impacted by the folate metabolism, which in turn is impacted by the partial methylation cycle block. So you may have to experiment with the dosage. Somewhere around 1.5 grams (1500 milligrams) may be a place to start.

Best regards,

Rich

See more popular forum discussions.