1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: The Adrenal Glands and ME
The second in a new series of ‘In Brief’ articles, where Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics, exploring how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he discusses the adrenal glands and why they can be such a talking point ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Methylation, Acumen vs. EDL tests questions for Rich V K

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by jo1974, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jo1974

jo1974

Hi Rich
    I've taken the liberty of copying one of your posts into this new thread as I had a few questions and did not want to go off topic in the original one.
    I have had those mitochondrial tests for years and I agree they are not helpful. They haven't proven helpful at all I must say (I'm not as diplomatic).
    Least so the treatment with all those vitamins, minerals and cofactors. If anything I got worse and so I stopped everything some time ago.
    Whilst certain treatments helped reduce my toxic load, these were replaced by "aldehydes, products of oxidative stress" in hindering mitochondria and ATP production.
    From what you write, I infer that getting the methylation cycle up to speed is more important than supplementing with CoQ10, carnitine, glutathione, magnesium etc. because the body then should be able to manufacture those and help maintain a better mineral balance. In my instance for e.g., no matter how much magnesium I take, my tests always show lowish levels.

I have a few questions concerning the topics that you flagged.
    Tests:
    Have you seen EDL tests showing low blood plasma glutathione even though RBC glutathione may be normal?
    I'm trying to assess whether it's worth having tests at EDL (my RBC glutathione is normal and so are peroxidase and s-transferase.)

Methylation protocol:
    From your study and experience, is the methylation block reversible or one has to stay on the protocol for life? Is it safe very long-term?
    My doctor says that SOD is very important in protecting mitochondria from oxidative stress, would the methylation protocol boost SOD in addition to the other effects you wrote about (my levels remain low no matter what)?
    My tests have consistently reported high intracellular calcium and aldehydes, is this a product of a blocked methylation cycle notwithstanding the reported normal glutathione levels?

Best regards
    Jo

See more popular forum discussions.