• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation 101 by Chris Kresser

SB_1108

I have this issue...

Chris Kresser: Because as you know, this is a pet peeve of mine, and there are websites out there where you can connect your 23andMe results and they will spit back your methylation genetic profile along with a list of supplements that you should take solely on the basis of the genetic mutations that you have. And where you can start to see the limitations of this approach very quickly is that oftentimes with those computerized algorithms one mutation suggests that you would tolerate methyl donors like methylfolate really well, and so they’ll list those out next to that mutation, but then another mutation you have further on down suggests that actually you wouldn’t tolerate those methyl donors, so it tells you to avoid methyl donors. This is just one example and one reason why we cannot rely on the genetic profile alone to tell us what’s actually happening in the methylation pathways.

What do you do when Hydroxy B12 and Methyl B12 are both suggested and supposed to be avoided according to the recommended supplement list?

Specifically, these were my results:
COMT V158M +/-
COMT H62H +/-

VDR Taq +/+
MOA A R297R +/+

MTHFR C677T +/-
MTRR A66G +/-
MTRR K350A +/-

BHMT-02 +/+
CBS C699T +/-

I have this issue...

What do you do when Hydroxy B12 and Methyl B12 are both suggested and supposed to be avoided according to the recommended supplement list?

COMT V158M +/-
COMT H62H +/-

VDR Taq +/+
MOA A R297R +/+

MTHFR C677T +/-
MTRR A66G +/-
MTRR K350A +/-

BHMT-02 +/+
CBS C699T +/-

I do not know. :( I'm not someone who is too knowledgeable about methylation or an experienced practitioner. You should post that on the podcast page, Dr Chris is very active and may just get to you. I'm sure other people here may chime in as well, best wishes!

caledonia

I have this issue...

COMT V158M +/-
COMT H62H +/-

VDR Taq +/+
MOA A R297R +/+

MTHFR C677T +/-
MTRR A66G +/-
MTRR K350A +/-

BHMT-02 +/+
CBS C699T +/-

It sounds like he's talking about Nutrahacker. I have the same issue with it.

Sometimes you just have to try the supplement and see how it goes.

For example, according to Yasko, I'm supposed to take both hydroxy and methylcobalamin. However, in reality, I don't tolerate hydroxy - I got an icky revved up feeling from it. I'm doing fine with methyl/adenosyl.

In your case, I would start with hydroxy (because of COMT) and see how it goes.