• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylathion advice needed

I received my 23andme results a while ago-- really confused at how to interpret the MTHFR data. I got the following results:

Homo (+/+)
MAO-A R297R
MTRR K350A
CBS A360A

Hetero (+/-)
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
ACAT1-02
MTHFR C677T
MTHFR 03 P39P
MTHFR A1298C

What does this mean for me and what would you recommend in lifestyle/diet/supplement changes with these mutations? Also, I noticed some data was missing from the test due to inaccuracy in te test/sample. Would you recommend testing again to get the data on these genes or are these not very important?

Missing data (no call)
MTRR H595Y
MTRR R415T
BHMT-04
AHCY-01
CBS N212N
SHMT1 C1420T

Complaints
By biggest complaints are digestion, lack of energy, low libido, hair loss, constant sinus infection/post nasal drip, acidic undigested stools (ammonia?), acidic feeling, cracking joints, stiff neck/back, feeling cold, anemia, dehydration (no oil produced on skin), candida, low immune response (sick alot), feet peeling skin, dark circles, depression, weight loss.

Good moments
I've had times when experimenting with supplements where I felt really good (when I just started Methylfolate and MB12, when I used DHEA for a while)

Things I notice while experimenting with supplements:
• Vit D dehydrates me / gives me mild anemia in any form except from the sun
• Vit C / Malic Acid / ACV gives me scalp itching and hair loss, especially around the neck
• Hydroxy b12 gives mild depression and itchy scalp / hair loss (even at a little crumb the size of a piece of rice)
• Adyno b12 makes me jittery
• Yucca gives me depression, low libido, low energy and lethargy
• Any high thiol supplement makes me feel like shit after a while (Q10, NAC, Milk Thistle, etc.)
• EMF drops my immune system / digestion to the floor
• Methylfolate dehydractes me / gives me mild anemia after a while
• I've been excluding the really high histamine, high thiol foods - havent notice much difference
• Hormonal balancing supplements give me hair loss and weight loss

Supplements im taking right now:
• Molyb (400mg a day)
• Cats claw (6 caps a day)
• Knotweed (6 caps a day)
• Herbal mix for muscle tone: Scots Pine Pollen, American Ginseng, Aralia nudicaulis (20 drops a day)
• Sida acuta (2 droppers a day)
• 10-undecenoic acid (12 caps a day)
• Cinnamon oil (2 drops a day)
• Fish oil (1 cap)
• Acetyl L-carnitine (1 cap)
• Serrapeptase (1 cap)
• L-Orthinine (1 cap)
• Astaxanthine (1 cap)
• Magnesium (1 cap)
• Potassium (1 cap)
• Slippery elm (2 caps)
• Chlorella (2 tabs)
• Activated charcoal (2 caps)
• CBD Oil (6 drops)
• Mixture of powders in capsule of -really- low dose: B-minus, Boron, Hp-5, Lithium, Mineral complex, creatine, licorice, cordyceps, vitamin-k (1 cap)

Diet:
Pretty high protein low kharb; White rice, rice crackers, Greens (low thiol; selery, leafy endive, zuchini, fennel, carrot), Chicken, Salmon, Hummus, Goat cheese, Oatmeal, Avocado, nuts (almonds/pumpkinseeds), blueberries, wheatgrass, ginger, cilantro, basil, parsley, mint, selery.

Conclusion:
Totally at loss now. With CBS I supposidly can't eat protein and thiol rich foods. With candida I can't eat carbs, there's almost nothing left! Most people recommend raising gluthathione but I can't do this becuase all supplements are high thiol / CBS contraindicated! If I cut out all thiol foods my gluthathion will drop aah so frustratring!!

Any help/tips are welcome! There's no methylation docters over here and my budget it shit - So I'm kinda on my own!

Last edited:
I know this is old post.
Have you tested cortisol and thyroid? You might not be digesting well due to low blood sugar (from low cortisol) or some nutrient deficiencies.
Your digestion problems look like low stomach acid problems. And that could be your main problem as you are not digesting most of your food properly (you eat lots of protein - it needs high stomach acidity!).
Have you tried Zinc? Zinc is so important for stomach acid and for bile salts. Look into vitamin B1 and Betaine HCL for improvement in digestion. Also eat salt.
I think you should fix your digestion before looking into thiols and methylation.

Thank you st134; I tested thyroid; labs are in normal range for T4, T3, Active T3 and no sign of thyroid autoimmune problems, recently I've experimented with natural thyroid; no succes. I've added zinc and p5p; suspecting kryptopyluria but not sure- I will ask my doctor to test cortisol and post an update soon on symptoms/labs! Ty!!