• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methyl trap please help

douglasmich

I started taking Drs best multiple and my CFS was cured for a few days then i had rapid potassium loss and when i replenished it i felt amazing then crashed. I stopped the supplements over a week ago.

Ive been getting worse and worse . I was crashing from even eating vegetables and drinking carrot juice or eating liver.

i am bed ridden and im pretty sure its a trap because vegies made it worse.

what can i do?? i feel like im dying :(

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
If your body has entered a period of high potassium demand it might take weeks to wear off. Placing a little potassium powder on my tongue is a guide to whether I need more potassium. If it tastes sweet then I know I need more. I also get muscle twitches (especially at night), muscle tightness (especially in the neck), and sometimes muscle convulsions, nausea, anxiety, poor mood or other hypokalemia effects.

Or maybe methylation has kicked off with a bang and you need to slow it down with niacin. See this post for more information about going slow on a methylation protocol, including information about using niacin.

Potassium, TMG, DMG, or Lithium Orotate, may help with the anxiety and depression.

Veggies may only cause methlytrap for some people. Even then it's usually high folinic acid veggies.

Are you taking any methylB12?

I hope you soon feel better. Please call a suicide hotline or talk to friends or family if your suicidal thoughts become too much to bear. Remember that your current state of health is temporary, it will change, but suicide is permanent.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I hope someone can offer some useful/helpful suggestions. But all of us are just trying things and mostly guessing.
It may be if what you say is so that it is a response to what you've been ingesting that you may have to just ride it out while having stopped all that. It might be better if you had an actual person where you are offer help. Is there any one?

douglasmich

Ive got all the symptoms of folate deficiency. Im scared of permanent damage. Im going to go to a store and try find b12 and take it alone

douglasmich

Its not potassium and i don't think its over methylation. Just a glass of carrot juice messes me up bad same with beef liver. My vision seems bad now, coated tongue, weakness etc all the sides of folate deficiency caused from a block.... i read the site and most say take b12...

douglasmich

Or some B12. This worked for me, instead of niacin. Please let us know how you're doing.

hello

i looked everywhere at the stores and no niacin or methylb12. i got cynocobalamin.... i only have this and niacinimide what do i do? im worried of bad neurologiacal damage..

douglasmich

This is what i have

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency
Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue,IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS –Normal alternating with constipation, IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily

douglasmich

god even orange juice is making it worse !! someone please help i might try the cynocobalmin i need b12 asap

Gondwanaland

Douglas, I had a similar experience 1.5 years ago. The things that helped me were:

- sodium bicarbonate bath / foot bath
- thyroid support + antidepressant (today I have better thyroid support and don't need the antidepressant anymore)

Do you know your iron / ferritin status?

That list of symptoms is a mix of thyroid issues, anemia and serotonin syndrome (when serotonin becomes toxic)

Methylation caused me to make too much serotonin and I could not degrade it fast enough. Magnesium helped me with that, but if you are having diarrhea perhaps you would benefit from B2.

It is hard for us to try to guess what is going on. I remember of reading the boards for several hours trying to find a solution for my symptoms. It took me some months to understand what was going on.

douglasmich

Found this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/how-to-untrap-a-methyl-trap.28218/page-2

Guy in there was reacting from green smoothies just like me. It seems like i have methyltrap. So im not sure what to do. I have not eaten anything in a day because i vomit if i eat .. I got worse and worse each day as i was eating beef liver and not realising the folate in it.

Ive searched this board and people seem to say to take b12 to stop it. I just took 50mg niacinimide (didnt have niacin) so i will see what happenes... basically lying in bed waiting for my methylb12 to arrive, legs tingling and skin crawling, vision blurred.. quite scared of permanent damage

douglasmich

It is just as good

Don't worry, you will be fine

Im not sure if niacin is the fix here wouldnt that make it worse.. It seems like i need b12.. il just have to wait it out till my b12 arrives and take it and hope it gets me out of this mess. Didnt even want to do methylation i just unded up here after taking a multivitamin with methylfolate lol !

Gondwanaland

Im not sure if niacin is the fix here wouldnt that make it worse.. It seems like i need b12.. il just have to wait it out till my b12 arrives and take it and hope it gets me out of this mess.
Niacin won't make it worse. You can try a bit of B12 and then later a bit of niacin.
Didnt even want to do methylation i just unded up here after taking a multivitamin with methylfolate lol !
Methyfolate can mess up the neurotransmitters, yup

Gondwanaland

I have not eaten anything in a day because i vomit if i eat
This could be deficiency in vitamin B1

Be careful to not overdose in anything you are going to try next. Go slow. Take tiny bits to feel your body's reaction first.

Have you tried a bit on salted water? Does it taste good? Or do you have more need for potassium?

douglasmich

Yes potassium tastes disgusting right now. Salt is ok.

The worst is this skin crawling in my lower legs and feet. Horrible feeling.

I just want to get out of this and stay away from methylation. Maybe il have to fast since any food with follic acid is worsening me

douglasmich

This is what fred says to do to get out of a trap

"You will need Enzymatic Therapy B12 infusion 1mg or Country Life Methyl b12 5mg, Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex (AdoCbl), Solgar or other brand of Metafolin (I'm suggesting that for startup because I know how that works with these others and haven't tested the other brands and forms of l-methylfolate. Then the Jarrow Liquid L-carnitine for microtitration. In addition I would suggest Potassium Gluconate tablets to start with. Again you may have other preferences as things go along, there is a lot of customizing essential. In addition a low dose b-complex, I use the Nature Made B-complex with C for two doses a day, A, D, e, C, magnesium, zinc, omega3 oils, lecithin or some other more specialized products of which there has been some discussion recently., a multi mineral and some others. Too high a dose of B1, B2 and B3 can cause all sorts of problems. No Folic acid, no folinic acid, no green drinks, no NAC, no glutathione or precursors. After one gets healing started it's obvious what helps and what doesn't. I spent the first 5 years learning how to get things to start reliably. The past 6 years has been on all the things that modify that."""

What do i do if i want to get out of a methyltrap and STOP methylation to go back to where i was?

douglasmich

so i did 150mg niacinimde over last few hours.. didnt help much. Cant eat at all..

I have ordered methylb12 which will be here in 3 days aswell as niacin... I have been told to take methylb12 along with a b complex to get out of the trap. Which b complex should i get? thanks..