• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl Group Sinks

Dear Rich and or Fredd.

For somone that has a genetic tendency to retain methyl group and overmethylate (COMT++) but that may require active methylated forms of B vitamins, are there any methyl sinks that can be taken to bind up the extra methyl groups and prevent the cycle from being overdriven?

Any substance that requires large amount of methyl groups to function?

What should be done in this case?

Thanks

richvank

Dear Rich and or Fredd.

For somone that has a genetic tendency to retain methyl group and overmethylate (COMT++) but that may require active methylated forms of B vitamins, are there any methyl sinks that can be taken to bind up the extra methyl groups and prevent the cycle from being overdriven?

Thanks

Hi, lampkld2.

I'm not convinced that having COMT (+/+) is the best indicator of whether methyl B12 is needed. I prefer to look at the levels of SAMe and glutathione in the methylation pathways panel. Both are needed to produce methyl B12 from other forms of B12. If they are very low, I think the person will do better with methyl B12. If they are only moderately low, then hydroxo B12 seems to work pretty well. I also think that most PWMEs benefit from taking both methyl folate and folinic acid, though I understand that folinic acid is detrimental to Freddd, I suspect because I think he has what appears to be a rare deficiency of the enzyme MTHFS (methenyl tetrahydrofolate synthetase), which normally converts folinic acid to methenylTHF and thence to other folate forms.

Best regards,
Rich

Dear Rich and or Fredd.

Thanks

Have you tried the niacinamide form of B3? I suggested this to a close friend, and she is doing well with this at 1,000 mg TID (but started at just 500 mg /day).

Freddd

Dear Rich and or Fredd.

Thanks

Hi Lampkid,

The big problem with hydroxycbl is that it is at best effective for 1/3 of the symptoms for 2/3 of the people that mb12/adb12 are effective for. Without ATP made by adb12 there is no conversion of hydroxcbl to make methylb12 and adb12. That is why titration by effectivness of mb12 is more effective than hydroxycbl. Hydroxcbl is known to have dose proprtionate effectiveness, if ita all, that is dose proportionate from 1 to 125 mcg (according to tests that measure saturation of the TC2 to HCT2). On the other hand mb12 has dose proportionate effectiveness in 2 bands, 1-3000mcg or so and 30,000mcg based on being able to directly diffuse to the tissues bypassing the limited TC2 transport system. If you think you are getting too much methyl groups and you have some detriment by that then cut back on the mb12 dose. It can easily be taken in controled doses down to 10mcg or so. SO if you titrate up and healing increases and then other symptoms happen after healing is complete or even before, cut back until optimum performance with healing continuing and other new symptoms minimized.