• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl for some works but then stops? Could it be that....

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I've ended up with no improvement in energy levels, but all of my skin rashes have disappeared, and cotton-brain is a thing of the past.
I don’t recall that I have seen anyone refer to ‘cotton-brain’ before. That was my worst symptom after I had ‘recovered’ from the flu-from-hell that started all of this. My head felt like it was stuffed with cotton batting. I was in grad school at the time and could not do my statistics assignments. I got five assignments behind before it let up enough that I was able to pass the class.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Adreno says,
You need to find and correct the root cause(s) that induced the adaptive changes in the first place.
This is not the first time I have read that we need to find and correct the root cause(s). I find that daunting because,
as Alex says,
The real answer is nobody knows. Until we have the objective data that tells us, we will continue to guess, and try to fix it by ourselves.
That makes for rather a high-stakes shell game.

Freddd

Adreno says,

This is not the first time I have read that we need to find and correct the root cause(s). I find that daunting because,
as Alex says,

That makes for rather a high-stakes shell game.

Hi Little Bluestem,

It is a very high stakes game, for health and life itself, "You Bet Your Life" describes it well. As the Knight said (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) "Choose wisely", and good luck.

As far as root causes go, I would say we need to find the deepest root causes we can affect. We can't affect genetics for instance.

adreno

PR activist
I want to clarify that I don't think methylation supps are not helpful. Improving methylation, silencing bad genes, strengthening detox and raising antioxidant status is important in ME. In some cases doing this might even lead to remission, if the root cause is faulty methylation. But I suspect that in most cases, there is more to the story than methylation.

Here is an example of the set point theory I am talking about:
Recent research has shown that the presence of gut microbiota regulates the set point for hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis activity.
So here we see that gut microbiota regulates the set point of the HPA axis. Will methylation supps change that? Of course, gut microbiota is not the only factor regulating the set point of the HPA axis.

And the HPA axis is just one subsystem, though it is an important one. There are surely other biological subsystems, each with similar interacting set points. The immune, neurological and endocrine subsystems all interact heavily.

Freddd

I want to clarify that I don't think methylation supps are not helpful. Improving methylation, silencing bad genes, strengthening detox and raising antioxidant status is important in ME. In some cases doing this might even lead to remission, if the root cause is faulty methylation. But I suspect that in most cases, there is more to the story than methylation.

Here is an example of the set point theory I am talking about:

So here we see that gut microbiota regulates the set point of the HPA axis. Will methylation supps change that? Of course, gut microbiota is not the only factor regulating the set point of the HPA axis.

And the HPA axis is just one subsystem, though it is an important one. There are surely other biological subsystems, each with similar interacting set points. The immune, neurological and endocrine subsystems all interact heavily.

Hi Adreno,

Metyhylation is a small part of the answer. Blocked methylation occurs BECAUSE of a mb12/methylfolate deficiency of whatever cause. I don't consider the ACTIVEB12 PROTOCOL to be a methylation protocol because methylation bloackage is a result of their deficiency. Methylation problems and an estimated 600 additional biochemical defects are all effects of these deficiencies. Focusing on one of them misses the boat. Methylation restarts in hours to days with mb12 and methylfolate. However, it can be held up by an ADB12/LCF deficiency and half a dozen others.

The immune, neurological and endocrine subsystems all interact heavily

Absolutely!. And all are affected tremendously by mb12/adb12/methylfolate.

DISCLAIMER

I am a self taught systems analyst and consultant. I am not credentialed, certified or licensed to do anything besides drive a car. I have been disabled by the disease processes being discussed and affecting neurology in a multitude of ways for 10 years and impaired in a variety of ways and levels for 54 years before that. Everything I say is my opinion, synthesis, understanding or otherwise of my own creation except direct attributed quotes. Approximate paraphrases are also my interpretation of what I have read. All of this is at best my data analysis, understanding, synthesis and hypotheses and not to be construed as medical advice. I am not responsible for anything you do with any information provided in any way. Anything you do is your own responsibility and at your own risk. There are no published peer reviewed studies backing up my opinions or statements, except the incidental ones quoted or implicit in my synthesis or understanding, and then only in so far any reading of such papers may confer. Your interpretations, actions and variations of what I say are strictly at your own risk.