• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methyl folate patents

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Merck holds the largest patent on Metfolin (L-methyfolate) which it markets, along with other B vitamins, as a medical food called Metanx and is only available by prescription. Merck has sublicensed PamLabs to use and market in the supplement industry (I believe they have sublicensed to others by now). There was one company, Brookstone, that was marketing a product that was in their terms identical to L-methyfolate per the ingredients list, but in fact it was not even close as it was a racemic mixture of an active isomer and non-active isomer which made it very unstable and had a short shelf life (I'm sure is worded better somewhere else). This product had a shelf name of Focolast, but Merck and PamLab's took them down pretty quickly.

The product you reference above looks to be a different product than Metfolin or L-Methyfolate. The Quatrefolic version uses glucosamine salt, where as Mercks version uses a calcium salt? This could potentially create an interesting conversation as the difference in salts could effect how it is delivered into the body. Could it potentially effect it's ability to cross the blood brain barrier??? Richvank or Fredd would be the go to people to discuss this. You may want to PM them and ask as a knowledgable answer to the differences in these to could save someone from wasting their money. I'm glad you brought this up!

August59

Hey Sherlock, I just noticed that Thorne supplements use the L-methyfolate with glucosamine salts, instead of calcium salts that Metfolin uses. Thorne is very reputable and I do not think that they would shotcut on this, so I would put the questin to Fredd and Rich for sure to sure what their take is on the difference.

richvank

Hi, August59.

Gnosis claims that the Quatrefolic form is better absorbed than the calcium bound form. I don't know if it is or not. Once in the body, I expect that the methylfolate dissociates from the carrier (calcium or glucosamine) and is then available to the cells. Amy Yasko uses Quatrefolic in her MethylMate B. Allergy Research Group is selling it. And I see that Swanson's is selling it, too. There may be others. As far as I know, it is good stuff, but I don't have any clinical data comparing the two.

Best regards,

Rich

August59

Thanks Rich - My guess is that by just using a different carrier is enough to let Quatrefolic's version not produce a patent infringment on Merck's formulation. It was probably just a matter of time.