• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl B12 to Folate Ratio

Hi all,

I do absolutely fantastic on methylfolate (15 mg x2/day) but as soon as I take methylcobalamin (1.25 mg x2/day), I feel absolutely horrible (brain fog, low energy, depressed, anti-social, panic, pain, etc.). I've tried countless ratios and brands with no changes. Please note that I've done around 50 chelating days with ALA yet the reactions to mb12 remain. Also, the same issues occur when I take hb12.

Any idea what could be going on?

Eastman

Previously, you said that you benefitted fron the methylation supplements but lose the benefits after 3-5 hours. But now, you think it's the mB12 that is giving you problems?

Sorry, I should have clarified. The amazing benefits I receive are directly from folate. I make sure to take mb12 at some point during the day and I feel the negative effects directly afterword.

Eastman

Assuming that the negative effects are from the mB12, they seem surprisingly fast. Some of your symptoms do appear under Freddd's Group 3 symptoms for induced folate deficiency though.

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency, partial methylation block to methyltrap on 1 or more internal triage levels. Frequently called “NAC DETOX” or “GLUTATHIONE DETOX”. Can be caused by folic acid, folinic acid and for some people, like me and quite a few others, excess vegetable folates. Further excess B1, B2, B3 and/or inositol can increase methylfolate deficiency symptoms.

These symptoms appear in 2 forms generally, the milder symptoms that start with partial methylation block and the more severe symptoms that come on as partial methylation block gets worse or very quickly with methyltrap onset.

Edema - An additional thing I would like to mention. I would never have found it without 5 years of watching the onset of paradoxical folate insufficiency and trying to catch it earlier and earlier and to figure out what was causing it and to reverse it. For me the onset order goes back to the day of onset now with edema and a sudden increase of weight. I noticed that within 2 hours of taking sufficient Metafolin I would have an increase in urine output.

Old symptoms returning
Edema

Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores,

Skin rashes, increased acne, Increased itchy acne on scalp and face, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips,

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation
Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Increased hypersensitive responses, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract,

Coated tongue, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Increase irritability, Heart palpitations,

Longer term, very serious

Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, bleeding easily

I do react surprisingly quickly. I notice a shift within 15 minutes of having the sublingual tab in my lower gum.

And definitely. I'm just blown away that I need 30+ mg per day. I wonder if it's an absorption issue.