• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl-B12 + Methyl-folate = severe depression

outdamnspot

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

On Methyl-B12, I experienced some 'neurological brightening', i.e. more mental energy, enhanced colors, improved mood.

On Methyl-B12 + B-Right, the effect was enhanced, but the crashes were worse -- I felt like something in the B-Complex was messing with my blood sugar, so I discontinued it for now.

On Methyl-B12 (1-2mg) + 200mcg of Methylfolate (which I've been taking for the past 3 days), I experience the most crippling depression, anhedonia and feelings of withdrawal .. all I want to do is give up on everything and sleep.

Additional symptoms are bloodshot eyes, skin peeling on my face, hands etc., increased balance problems, strange stools .. so is this possibly some kind of 'detox'?

I am keeping up with my potassium needs.

CCC

So, on just mB12 - you felt better (comparatively).

On mB12 + anything with folate - you feel/felt terrible.

Have you considered just taking the mB12 for a while? (+ potassium)

On a non-CFS note, I find my skin is better and my eyes less bloodshot with B1 and some B2. But I don't have CFS.
That said, be aware of Freddd's observation that B1 and B2 aren't good for him.

outdamnspot

So, on just mB12 - you felt better (comparatively).

On mB12 + anything with folate - you feel/felt terrible.

Have you considered just taking the mB12 for a while? (+ potassium)

On a non-CFS note, I find my skin is better and my eyes less bloodshot with B1 and some B2. But I don't have CFS.
That said, be aware of Freddd's observation that B1 and B2 aren't good for him.

The crashes on the B12 alone were too much and didn't seem to be easing up. Strangely, when I combine the B12 with the Methylfolate, the crashes aren't as debilitating -- and since I am trying to addressing my adrenal fatigue with methylation, I thought both supplements might be needed. Hence, why I was wondering if feeling worse might be 'detox'; I realize my throat is in fact very sore and raspy today, which is an unusual symptom for me.

I'm waiting on my B12oil from Greg and may try his approach, but figured I would see what the B12 + folate did together first, since that was my doctor's initial suggestion.

outdamnspot

I tend to take the Methyl-folate close to my bedtime and actually find that it reduces subjective feelings of inflammation (i.e. I am more clearheaded after I take it).

outdamnspot

Well, I'm not sure if it's depression or 'detox', but I have been hit by signs of immune-activation -- like the sore throat, headaches, peeling skin, and my sinuses draining .. also, more spontaneous Candida clearance in my stools.

When I first tried the B12, it floored me (I could barely stand), but the crashes seem to be more manageable now (2-3mg B12 and 200mcg Methylfolate, sublingual), so I will stick with it a bit longer.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

On Methyl-B12, I experienced some 'neurological brightening', i.e. more mental energy, enhanced colors, improved mood.

On Methyl-B12 + B-Right, the effect was enhanced, but the crashes were worse -- I felt like something in the B-Complex was messing with my blood sugar, so I discontinued it for now.

On Methyl-B12 (1-2mg) + 200mcg of Methylfolate (which I've been taking for the past 3 days), I experience the most crippling depression, anhedonia and feelings of withdrawal .. all I want to do is give up on everything and sleep.

Additional symptoms are bloodshot eyes, skin peeling on my face, hands etc., increased balance problems, strange stools .. so is this possibly some kind of 'detox'?

I am keeping up with my potassium needs.

I just watched a video on methylation that was the best I've seen yet and the doctor says most definitely do not take Methyl folate if you are depressed. HIghly recommend watching this one.