• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl-acceptors?

dannybex

Here's Rich's explanation from 2012:

"When methylfolate is made naturally in the cells, MTHFR does it, and it needs riboflavin. If you supply methylfolate as a supplement, then it feeds the methionine synthase reaction, which needs methionine synthase reductase to keep it going, and that in turn also requires riboflavin. If a person is deficient in riboflavin, it will block recovery when using the methylation protocols for these reasons as well as for other reasons, involving the energy metabolism, the neurotransmitters metabolism, and others."

dannybex

IME blurred vision is associated to high ammonia, and B2 is needed in the urea cycle. Too much will increase uric acid though)
Thanks. I've also started (or restarted after 2 years) l-carnitine, which I guess also helps w/ammonia. My levels were high 3-4 years ago, so I'm sure that hasn't changed. Eyes are very weak, and EXTREMELY sensitive to light, probably not helped by a long-term sinus infection that just won't go away.

Gondwanaland

Just remembered that @ahmo had high ammonia from upping B2. Its balance in relation to other Bs (esp. B9) is very critical and differs from person to person.

Re eyes, I am sure B2 is the culprit - either too low or too high. The reason why I picked my avatar pic was exactly due to the semi-closed eyes.

For my husband taking royal jelly (BH4?) every morning about 1/2 hour before breakfast for about 2 months (Oct-Nov) apparently cleared his sinus for good. If he gets sinus congestion in the morning, the 1st thing I do is give him his RJ dose and after a few minutes he's good. I have always suspected his sinus issues were ammonia related.

ahmo

@dannybex @Gondwanaland That's really interesting re royal jelly and sinus (nor did I realize rj/BH4 connection). When I was initially researching mangosteen for mast cell, a commenter on iherb recommended opening a capsule onto tongue for sinus issues. Royal jelly and mangosteen are both extremely helpful for mast cell flares. Relationship between mast cell and ammonia??

Gondwanaland

Also, have you considered vitamin A and/or DHA, among other things?
Fishoil has always been part of my supplementation regime and it never helped with vision. Vit A helped immensely with circadian rhytm, but I can't take it regularly since it makes my hair fall copiously and makes me sleepy during the day. My multimineral is really helping with cloudy vision right now (especially at dimming day light/sunset) - it's gotta be either manganese or boron - and digestive enzymes.

ahmo

how did you measure your ammonia levels? Or how did you determine b2 was raising ammonia?
Only by symptoms. I get a particular kind of "headachey" sense, squinty eyes, a particular taste that lingers in my mouth, overall feeling of disquiet that differs from histamine or "over-methylation" restlessness. I took B2 as an experiment to see if I could then tolerate more green veggies, used it for 3 days. By day 3 I felt as if I was "drowning" in ammonia, had to repeatedly use malic acid to detox it, which took another 3 days. Very unpleasant. But during the past weeks it seems to be a by-product of over-exertion, oxidative stress. In addition to my other strategies, my body has been requesting large amounts of carrots, high in anti-oxidants. After chomping on a carrot or 2, the taste would leave my mouth for awhile.