• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl-acceptors?

dannybex

I've read in several places that niacin is considered a 'methyl-acceptor' (or some say 'methyl-sponge'), but my doc said that B1, B2, and CoQ10 are also methyl-acceptors.

Does anyone know if this is correct? The only mention I could find was from a book online:

B1-B2-B3-CoQ10-METHYL-ACCEPTORS!.png

PeterPositive

I think it makes sense. There are many other discussions in this board talking about the appropriate balance of B1, B2 and B3 in a methylation protocol.

High doses of those can make one's need for methylfolate and methyl-B12 "insatiable" as Freddd used to say. If you search a little bit you can find long threads about this issue.

cheers

PeterPositive

Can you explain this in more 'user-friendly' detail Peter? Thanks in advance…

And the same for B2? I remember 'Dog Person' suggesting it's necessary, but can't remember the details…?
I am not a biochemist so my understanding is not very in depth.
FAD (B2) and NAD (B3) are necessary for the MTHFR enzyme to do its work:

Wikipedia said:
MTHFR contains a bound flavin cofactor and uses NAD(P)H as the reducing agent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylenetetrahydrofolate_reductase#Biochemistry

dannybex

Thanks @ahmo -- I know Lynch has a lot of videos out there, so I appreciate your posting this one. I like the way he has been studying this in depth and has (at least most times) admitted if he's learned something new and makes changes accordingly (the infamous CBS mutation as one example).

dannybex

Could you please post a link to that?

From his "Seeking Health" Facebook page, confirmed via email -- see "Seeking Health's" reply…

"...absolutely fine to take taurine - it supports magnesium absorption and electrolyte balance. The whole CBS upregulation and reducing sulfur long term is far from safe - or accurate. One needs sulfur - and this little bit of taurine is not going to harm - in fact, it's going to support."

https://www.facebook.com/SeekingHealth/posts/831003603618985

Gondwanaland

Ugh taurine knocks me out with sleepiness and brain fog. OTOH I can eat high sulfur foods w/o issues :confused:
But I don't know my SNPs.

Gondwanaland

Some people use it at night due to its sedating effect.
I fall asleep quickly but have to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate since sulfur has a highly diuretic effect in me. I think I am so full of metals that sulfur supplements get detox going :eek:

adreno

PR activist
I fall asleep quickly but have to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate since sulfur has a highly diuretic effect in me. I think I am so full of metals that sulfur supplements get detox going :eek:
Again, taurine inhibits aldosterone, which has a diuretic effect.

Last edited:

dannybex

On the other hand, B2 is also necessary for the methylation cycle.

Reviewing this thread again, it seems then like B2 anyway, is not a methyl-acceptor, like B3 -- it's a cofactor, at least at so-called 'normal' doses.

I reduced, then basically stopped b2, with the exception of taking the RDA (1.7mgs), and my eyesight deteriorated big time during the last six weeks or so.