• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methionine supplements ?

daniariete2000

Hi all,

I would like to know if Rick or Freed never suggested supplements of Methionine for increasing methylation .

Thanks

Daniele

PeterPositive

SAM-e was mentioned in Freddd's discussion about his protocol, not in Rich's as far as I can remember. It's the "active" form of methionine if you will, and it's typically low in people with methylation issues.

If you're already taking reduced folate and active B12, SAM-e is one extra element to experiment with, starting at a low dose of say 100-200mg.

It can be useful to deal with histamine issues for under-methylators, helps supporting neurotransmitters balance, supports glutathione dependent enzymes, helps maintaining a healthy connective tissue.

I've been on a and off of it for some time and I haven't seen or felt major differences. Other people have found it very helpful.

At dosages of 100-400mg it's very safe (don't take without adequate methyl supplements or it could raise your homocysteine)

cheers