1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

metametrix discontinue dna pcr technology

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by kisekishiawase, Jan 19, 2014.

1. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

@Thinktank That's a pretty cool test, I think you would realllllly benefit from a high count probiotic mainly composed of bifidobacteria coupled with resistant starch 2
  2. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    @tdog333, yes i'm now using 2 sachets of VSL#3 daily, that's a very high dose probiotics, 950 billion count.
    Although i'm having issues with it because some of the strains produce histamine.

I'll probably also have to improve the diversity of Gram+ and Gram - bacteria. I'll ask KDM next month on how to do so.
    You know bifidobacterium and lactobacillus are only a very small part of the gut microbiome.

I've tried resistant starch for a few days mixed in with my nightly VSL #3 dose. Unfortunately i noticed increased inflammation the next days so i had to discontinue the use of RS. I will try RS again very soon when my prescript assist probiotic has arrived.
    Valentijn likes this.
  3. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

Yes I've taken VSL3 before too, great stuff! You might consider going the direct approach and using the VSL3 in a retention enema. Worked really well for me and all my bacteria are back to high normal levels (from nothing after months of abx)

Yes we still don't have a solid understanding of the gut microbiota, but bifidobacteria is one of the main players in generating butyrate, and keeping the junctions in the gut tight.

You might have to start really slow on the RS, some people have big start up reactions! The prescript assist looks awesome! I want to try it soon too, i've just been using a mixed probiotic and bacillus coagulans.
  4. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    Good to hear your gut bacteria are back to normal levels. Which test did you do to confirm that?

I've read about probiotic enemas but i have my doubts about it. Some of the strains might end up at places where they don't belong.

Butyrate production is almost 0 based on the metametrix stool analysis, i guess that's indeed due to low bifidobacterium which shows up as 0 on the same test. I am going to supplement with n-butyrate soon to see if it has any effect on my leaky gut.

I started with only 1 teaspoon RS frontier naturals organic potato starch. It's said to be unmodified... but i'm going to try again with bobs red mill RS.
    Do people start with less than 1 teaspoon?
  5. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

I did the metametrix test when it was PCR and my Organic acids test confirmed high beneficial bacteria metabolites.
    Before It showed nothin, after a month of amoxacillin, metronizadole, then vancomycin, then difficid.

I know some people who start at .5 teaspoon, but it's always been with bob's red mill potato starch, maybe that brand will be more tolerable!
  6. guiandres

guiandres

Has anyone tried Diagnos-Techs stool test?
  7. guiandres

guiandres

I called and was told PCR testing for Ova and Parasites only, no longer for GI Effects Profile. :(
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Which lab did you call--Redlabs or Metametrix? I was speaking of calling Redlabs.

Sushi
  9. guiandres

guiandres

Genova/Metametrix
  10. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    After looking at the result example photo seems like there are things which included in metametrix GI effect but not in redlabs MSA such as fungus/yeast, and maybe theres other thing as well?
  11. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    Are you sure you didnt get it mixed up? This is what they stated on their website.

Optimized Parasite Recovery (OPR) is Genova Diagnostics’ version of O&P technology which utilizes a concentration process to optimize parasite detection. Because the vast majority of commensal gut microflora are anaerobes that present culture challenges, microbial DNA analysis is utilized to optimize the assessment of gut microbial composition.
    O&P technology can identify an unlimited number of parasites and is the gold standard diagnostic methodology for parasite detection, while PCR technology provides an expansive assessment of anaerobic gut microflora.

Doesnt it mean they still use pcr dna for gut bacteria?

See more popular forum discussions.