1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

metametrix discontinue dna pcr technology

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by kisekishiawase, Jan 19, 2014.

1. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    im just gonna quote from one of the article i found:
    and,
    by CHRIS KRESSER:
    so what other labs are better?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    roxie60 likes this.
  2. Arise

Arise

Hi
    I believe they still use PCR tech for the non pathogenic bacteria, but use "Ova and parasites" technology pathogens. So I think they have actually improved it by combining the best bits from each others tests. However I am not sure what "ova and parasites" technology is.

Also be aware that "Enzyme linked immune assays" (EIA) are now only offered as add ons.

"when there is a high index of suspicion for infection, C. difficile, H. pylori, Shiga Toxin E. coli, and Campylobacter spp. will now be offered as add-on panels by enzyme immunoassay (EIA) only, allowing test-panel customization based on clinical presentation of the patient."

http://blog.gdx.net/post/2013/10/30...nce-clinical-utility-and-patient-results.aspx

3. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    im just gonna quote from one of the article i found:
    and,
    by CHRIS KRESSER:

roxie60 likes this.
  4. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    Sad to hear Genova is doing this. I was just about to do another test to compare but now will probably not test at all. I think it is rediculous that they are separating out what use to be basic expectation level of testing. Almost like they want to ruin their reputation and punish prior Metametrix customers. Guess they will be hoping they will get new customers who will not know they are getting a lower level of service and possibly lower level of testing.

kisekishiawase likes this.
  5. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    i know right. many people feel disappointed. some still havent find out. and i just plan to do my first test and finding more info and considering but knowing this puts big doubt in me. (i thought "too little too late" theyve changed it) maybe i should just get the OAT test only instead?
    is there other better lab for stool test? on the other hand it seems they wont revert back to the original method, wont they.
    btw, you said "to compare" with other lab or previous metametrix result?

6. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Maybe uBiome is a good and affordable alternative.

7. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  8. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
  9. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    I have the emails of a few people working at genova, will ask them now and report any findings. It would be really sad if they are discontinuing PCR.

10. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Can you phone them? I have done that and had prompt answers. If you tell me your questions for them, I might know the answer to some of them.

Sushi

11. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    @Sushi my converstation english skill isnt good :confused: but i will try maybe
    @Thinktank they use pcr only for anaerob

12. Sushi

Albuquerque
    They will speak several languages there--maybe you have one in common.

Sushi

13. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    Not a single reply from genova diagnostics.... that's kinda disappointing. I'm currently way too brainfogged to phone them so is there anyone here willing to give them a call? Otherwise i'll do it on a "good" day.

14. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    They generally don't reply to non-customers because they are overloaded with work. I can send them an email for you, just PM me your specific questions but not too lengthy!

To clarify, the PCR DNA test from REDlabs is very different from genova diagnostics G.I. effects. They are two very different things. I can upload my results as an example if you like.

15. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    That one and the american gut project as well. I'm still waiting for the results though.

So far stool tests that i have done:

Standard hospital stooltests from various hospitals (completely useless in my case)
    REDlabs PCR DNA stooltest (highly recommended, shows a lot but takes a while to process).
    G.I. effects genova diagnostics (kinda disappointing, only tests for a few bacteria, yeasts etc in comparison to the PCR DNA test from REDlabs. but compensates with testing of things like SCFA, butyrate etc.)
    CDSA 2.0 (a bit the same as G.I. effects with the addition of calprotectin and eosinophil protein X, handy to evaluate gut inflammation levels, but no PCR DNA used??)
    Ubiome (still awaiting results)
    American gut project (still awaiting results)

16. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    @Thinktank thanks :redface:
    i see. i usually/prefer communication via email so itll be problematic for me :eek: i contacted fedex, they said the estimation time for shipping is 3 days minimum. so i dont know if its possible? :( also theres no info if redlabs accept payment via wire transfer. the practitioner i found here can only help with lab for doctorsdata, greatplains, possibly genova. so with redlabs i have to do all by myself :( im totally new with this so i feel lost and need guidance.
    thats weird? usually theyre very responsive and reply fast. :confused:
    didnt u take the old metametrix test before?
    anyway i would like to see the redlabs result. u can pm me if u want :thumbsup:

17. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    I am just doing a doctor's data three day stool test. Anyone used that?

18. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    It was the culture method isnt it?
    I think culture was the standard methode. (Know from reading)

Still wonder if metametrix stool test is any good after the adjustment they made. Though redlabs still seem superior isnt it?
    :confused:

19. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I would also be interested in seeinv the redlabs result so I can compare to my metametrix ans decide if redlabs is what I need. TIA

20. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    As an example here are a few screenshots of my REDlabs PCR DNA stooltest.

MSA1.jpg MSA2.jpg MSA3.jpg MSA4.jpg

See more popular forum discussions.