1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Metametrix complete GI panel results

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by globalpilot, Jun 2, 2012.

1. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    I would really like to upload the test results but can't figure out how to do that. I see the upload link below but my file is a word file and it doesn't show up in the list. If anyone can assist, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, the results are:
    - no overgrowth of anaerobic or opportunistic bacteria
    - 3+ unknown yeast
    - unknown parasite
    - elastase normal , short chain fatty acid normal
    - high putrefactive long chain fatty acids
    - total fat, cholesterol normal
    - quite low secretory IgA

Symptoms include quite severe bloating and upper gas production, fatigue and spaciness.

I'm going to first try colostrum to replete the missing secretory IgA. It's from cow's so I'm not sure if it'll help or not. If not, I'll try s boulardii.

2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, gp.

As I'm sure you know, yeasts produce CO2. Candex has worked to knock out yeasts for quite a few people.
    I hope the colostrum helps with the IgA.

Best regards,

Rich

3. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    That's strange, are you sure it's a word file? I got my results as a PDF...

You need to look into SIBO.

4. globalpilot

Ontario
    Thanks Rich. I hope it helps too. I'm still working on trying to get the lime to monitor my CO2 production. You can't get it in Canada.

Nanonug - I've done that. Hydrogen breath test twice, Methane once, lactose intolerance once, H2S test, all of those negative, a good trial of rifaxamin - no symptom improvement. I don't know what further I could do on that front. I must move on to another strategy.

5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Hmm, have you considered stuff affecting the liver? Things such as viral hepatitis, for example? Clearly, you need to start doing a little bit of "shooting in the dark" if you want to find a cause...

By the way, it seems this dude here specializes in rare parasitic diseases: Parasitology Center.

6. globalpilot

Ontario
    Oh Nanonug, I've been investigating everything I come across for years. I'm not a newbie to this.

7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Hi there,

I just did this too but I'm not sure if I can help.

Like you, according to this lab, I don't have any bad bacteria.

I don't have unknown yeast tho. Any ideas what those are ? Candida would show up as candida if it was there.

I have +2 s boulardii tho. I just took metagenics prolardi and jarrow.

I get the bloating and gas too but thought it might be sibo. I have an unknown parasite too tho.
    I've noticed that avoiding certain foods makes a HUGE difference in this. Cukes are out .. As are toi many raw foods.

Stupid internet logged me off .. But I need to go anyways. Tc .. X

8. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    OK, so here it goes. Did you test for viral hepatitis, then? :)

9. globalpilot

Ontario
  10. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

does anyone know what the "unknown parasite" means? I had this on my result as well and I could never get any information about it. how do we figure out what it is?

11. globalpilot

Ontario
    Noone knows what it is, other than the fact we know it is not one of the ones they test for specifically. I think what is happening is that the lab is finding genetic code that they know is common to all parasies but the particular parasite is not in their database. They don't know what it is themselves. This is so confusing to people that I almost think it would be better if they didn't report it.

12. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Quite a dilema. :confused: Is there a broad-spectrum anti-parasitic that could be tried that might wipe out "Unknown"?

13. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Just had another thought. I am sure some of you have heard of the ViroChip. I wonder if there is one of those for parasites? Perhaps you could contact whomever makes ViroChip (you'll have to google it, I can't remember) and ask. Maybe "unknown" could be uncovered using that if there is such a thing.

14. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Just received the results of my Metametrix GI Profile test. Am going to try to upload the results. I'm hoping someone can help me interpret these. Also I think someone mentioned somewhere that there was a patient's report and a doctor's report? If this is the case, does anyone know which one this would be?

Attached Files:

15. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    Is the 'unknown' parasiste an issue with the lab or do we all have a parasite that is unidentified that is causing us issue. Is it a lab error or something real they just dont understand. I also had that reported and it seems most of us do.

16. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    In my opinion, the most significant finding is that of gluten sensitivity. Testing for increased intestinal permeability would probably be a good idea. Of course, a gluten free diet, maybe together with digestive enzymes containing DPP IV would probably also be recommended.

I am not aware of such distinction...

17. vitamink

vitamink

NYC
    two doctors have told me that the 'unknown parasite' shows up for pretty much everyone they test, and that it's likely something ingested with food...

18. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    People do ingest all kinds of crap, including yeasts and parasites. Most, whether human or not, do not survive digestion.

On my GI Effects Profile I also had quite a bit of "taxonomy unavailable" yeast. I took Diflucan but had no improvement.

19. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks for your insights nanonug. That jumped out at me too. Unfortunately I'm recently back on bread after a very long break (but not other gluten containing foods). I have so many food sensitivities, now I am trying to figure out what I am going to eat!! :(
    Got the results of this test back on Friday and much to my surprise I do not have intestinal permeability. Levels of both sugars were within normal range.
    I've tried digestive enzymes in the past but react to them. Looks like this isn't going to give me any easy answers.

20. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Aileen, look at this link and see if it rings any bells:
    Mast Cell Activation Syndrome Symptoms

Hmm, that's strange. What kind of reactions do you get exactly?

See more popular forum discussions.