1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Metagenomic search for infectious agents using monozygotic twins discordant for CF

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 21, 2011.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Prospective studies on post-infective cohorts, like Dubbo, are focused on the difference between those that recover normally from Glandular Fever etc, typically within a few months, and those that do not and go on to develop CFS. They're well set up to look at what goes on in the first 6 months or so of illness. As you say, most of these CFS patients then recover within 2 years.

I would be interested to know how CFS patients from such studies compare with other CFS patients at the same stage. In other words, if you took a group of patients who had just reached the 6-month CFS threshold and followed them for the next 2 years, what would their recovery rates be like, and would they be significantly different from Dubbo? All the prognosis studies I've seen start with patients who on avearge have been ill for quite a few years.

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, I agree. Have sufficient numbers in each group to compare the two groups.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Snow Leopard highlighted:
    (It's the same cohort as current study)

http://www.plosone.org/annotation/l...notation/71f37267-372a-4c29-be7f-ec35f74ad8a3

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm not sure if "worked their way out of it" is the exact wording I'd use as it suggests they conquered it through hard work. While they simply got better like with the adolescents with EBV where 13% satisfied the criteria at 6 months but only 4% at 2 years.

Good points.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good point.

Good point. The menstrual cycle for one is known to have a big influence on lots of functions.

6. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Fatigue scores

Table 1 from this study shows a big difference in fatigue between patients and healthy twin on the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS):
    I don't know how the VAS scale compares with other fatigue scale used such as the Chlalder scale but no doubt the authors will point to these results as evidence that the CFS twins were seriously fatigued.

Of course, the SF36 measures activity levels rather than fatigue, but you would expect a strong correlation between the two. Something doesn't add up here.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, it is interesting and I think with a normal CFS cohort the two would correlate. But, these were chosen to have fatigue by definition so it's not surprising they don't have low fatigue scores. However, only 2 of them recall a sudden onset. So it would be interesting to know how many would be seen as depressed for example.

See more popular forum discussions.