• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metafolin, B12, Potassium - Trying to make sense of these.

I am not really sure if I have a folate or B12 deficiency or even something else.I get very tired at work and this comes with brain fog.I also noticed when I do suffer from fatigue there is usually a jerky like or reflex movement in my legs and sometimes fingers.

Other symptoms which I have but I am now beginning to think it could all be related includes,mild panic attack, anxiety,sweatiness,social anxiety,irritability, moodiness,histamine problems (runny nose, itch eyes, PE),balance problem,speech fluency and general brain fog.

Previously, I have used "Fatigued to Fantastic" and this seems to have some effect.I felt my brain was working correctly,but this effect didn't last for long. I was also concerned about the 800mc folic acid.I also noticed some improvement with Gotu Kola,found out it is rich in B Vitamins ,but read one shouldn't use it for the long term.

I switched to the Thorne Research b complex #12 but noticed I was getting fatigue on this. I had a blood test done and the result shows everything was fine, the only thing there were concerned about was my high potassium. I switched to Thorne #5, but still fatigued.I remembered one day I stopped the b complex and used Acetyl-L-Carnitine and there was no fatigue. Again this effect only lasted a few days.

I decided to buy some metafolin 800mcg,and B12 Methylcobalamin by Solgar and again was getting fatigued. I then decided to quit these.

Few months latter, I decided to take the metafolin and to my amazement the brain was working great. There was no fatigue, mood was great, speech was great..This lasted for a week or two.I now decided to try NT Factor a supplement on iherb with 400mcg folic acid..After using this for about 7 days, I noticed the fatigue again.I have stopped taking the metafolin because of the amount of folic acid in NT Factor supplement.

Today, I took Metafolin in the morning on an empty stomach and no fatgue at work and mood was great. I took Jarrows B12 Methylcobalamin at mid afternoon and there was no fatigue after lunch.

What I really want to know is if my problem is folate related. How much metafolin can one take in a day? Is there any difference taking metafolin on an empty stomach ? Can one take too much Potassium?

Thanks.

A normal amount of a metafolin (or other active folate supplement) should be sufficient. 400mcg is the standard. Your problem may be with folic acid.

Folic acid is the inactive form of folate, and the body has to convert it to folate to use it. If your body has trouble with that conversion process, then supplementing with active folate is a lot more useful.

But it's also important to avoid folic acid since it competes with the active folate. So you may need to avoid folic acid, and most B complexes and multivitamins, since they usually use folic acid instead of active folate. Eating foods fortified with folic acid (cereals, breads, etc) might also cause the same problem if you live in a country where those things are required to have folic acid added.

A normal amount of a metafolin (or other active folate supplement) should be sufficient. 400mcg is the standard. Your problem may be with folic acid.

Folic acid is the inactive form of folate, and the body has to convert it to folate to use it. If your body has trouble with that conversion process, then supplementing with active folate is a lot more useful.

But it's also important to avoid folic acid since it competes with the active folate. So you may need to avoid folic acid, and most B complexes and multivitamins, since they usually use folic acid instead of active folate. Eating foods fortified with folic acid (cereals, breads, etc) might also cause the same problem if you live in a country where those things are required to have folic acid added.

Thanks Valentijn. Both forms of Folic Acid seems to agree with me but I will be sticking with the Metafolin. Another confusion is that it's been said people with high histamine should avoid Folic Acid but it seems I have a folate deficiency.

Hi MaxQ,
One thing I noticed is that you don't stay with specific vitamins very long. I have had great results with Freddd's protocol. But at the beginning especially, things would get better, then worse, then better again. I stayed with the same vitamins for several months before trying to change anything. One thing to note is that I was on the protocol for a B12 deficiency, not specifically for CFS. I do have lower energy than most people I know, but I have not had to miss any work due to fatigue.
Good luck,
mogy

Hi Mogy, that may be true but I am still trying to establish what is wrong with me. I know that Potassium is one of the supplement in Freddd's protocol, but when my blood test is already showing high potassium then it make me wonder.
Today was another good day.I think taking Metafolin a few hours before breakfast may be the key.

Rockt

I am not really sure if I have a folate or B12 deficiency or even something else.I get very tired at work and this comes with brain fog.I also noticed when I do suffer from fatigue there is usually a jerky like or reflex movement in my legs and sometimes fingers.

Other symptoms which I have but I am now beginning to think it could all be related includes,mild panic attack, anxiety,sweatiness,social anxiety,irritability, moodiness,histamine problems (runny nose, itch eyes, PE),balance problem,speech fluency and general brain fog.

Previously, I have used "Fatigued to Fantastic" and this seems to have some effect.I felt my brain was working correctly,but this effect didn't last for long. I was also concerned about the 800mc folic acid.I also noticed some improvement with Gotu Kola,found out it is rich in B Vitamins ,but read one shouldn't use it for the long term.

I switched to the Thorne Research b complex #12 but noticed I was getting fatigue on this. I had a blood test done and the result shows everything was fine, the only thing there were concerned about was my high potassium. I switched to Thorne #5, but still fatigued.I remembered one day I stopped the b complex and used Acetyl-L-Carnitine and there was no fatigue. Again this effect only lasted a few days.

I decided to buy some metafolin 800mcg,and B12 Methylcobalamin by Solgar and again was getting fatigued. I then decided to quit these.

Few months latter, I decided to take the metafolin and to my amazement the brain was working great. There was no fatigue, mood was great, speech was great..This lasted for a week or two.I now decided to try NT Factor a supplement on iherb with 400mcg folic acid..After using this for about 7 days, I noticed the fatigue again.I have stopped taking the metafolin because of the amount of folic acid in NT Factor supplement.

Today, I took Metafolin in the morning on an empty stomach and no fatgue at work and mood was great. I took Jarrows B12 Methylcobalamin at mid afternoon and there was no fatigue after lunch.

What I really want to know is if my problem is folate related. How much metafolin can one take in a day? Is there any difference taking metafolin on an empty stomach ? Can one take too much Potassium?

Thanks.

I've yet to find a B complex I can take regularly. I also get fatigue from it. If you find one that works, please let us know.

richvank

Hi, MaxQ.

One way to find out for sure what your folate, glutatione, and methylation statuses are is to run the methylation pathways panel that is offered by Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey. It is a blood test, requires an order from a physician or chiropracter, and costs $295 within the U.S., including the shipper to send the samples to the lab.

Here is the contact information:

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinicians letterhead.

Available from:

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 2300
South Amboy, NJ 08879
USA
Phone: (732) 721-1234
Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi, MaxQ.

One way to find out for sure what your folate, glutatione, and methylation statuses are is to run the methylation pathways panel that is offered by Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey. It is a blood test, requires an order from a physician or chiropracter, and costs $295 within the U.S., including the shipper to send the samples to the lab.

Here is the contact information:

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinicians letterhead.

Available from:

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 2300
South Amboy, NJ 08879
USA
Phone: (732) 721-1234
Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Best regards,

Rich

Thanks Rich, I am actually based so I am not sure in I will be able to do the test. However, I will look into it.

rydra_wong

I have high histamine and I take 800 mcg methylfolate. I do not believe that statement. I greatly respect the people that say it because they say other useful things, I just don't think that is one of them. I am a 7 in functionality.

Someone on one of these sites was able to cure their high blood pressure with 400mcg folic acid but it came back at 800mcg. And, yes, it was folic acid -- he obviously had no problem converting 400mcg (but I think he had a problem converting 800 msg and it then clogged up the works).

I think the amount that you need may be very individual. I think most people on Fredd's protocol take 800 METHYLfolate, except for Fredd and a few like him who take much more. http://forums.bettermedicine.com/showthread.php/62327-Active-B12-Basics

As to a B Complex I use Thorne Basic B and it works fine for me. But it contains folinic acid which gives Fredd and maybe others trouble. They are taking something else ...I think maybe by Pure Encapsulations or something. I wasn't happy with the new choices and stuck with The Thorne which was doing fine by me. You could ask Idie or Mogy.

rydra_wong

Oh here is what they are taking now at Wrong Diagnosis:

The b-complex should be one of the following:-

Douglas Laboratories B-complex with Metafolin
Pure Encapsulations B-complex plus with Metafolin
BioCare B-Plex (no folic acid or B12)

The dibencozide should be by Source Naturals.

Everyone here is trying to avoid folic acid as it's not natural and many people aren't able to utilize it.