• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metafolin Absorption Rates

Does anyone know what % of metafolin is typically absorbed
- when ingested
- when taken sublingually (over 90+ minutes)

I've been taking it sublingually and wonder if there's any benefit to this.

PeterPositive

You mean you are dissolving the Metafolin oral tablet under your tongue?
I didn't know it worked that way too... If that's the case then almost any tablet could be used similarly? I mean sublingually.

I swallow my first metafolin dose in the morning and let the other doses for the day dissolve under my tongue. It's hard to schedule my whole day around taking some supps on an empty stomach - now that I'm feeling better I'm busier! This seems to work fine for me. I haven't noticed any decrease in effectiveness. Of course a small bit does get swallowed. Got the idea because it's flavored like the b12.

I am also interested to hear what others think about this.

Critterina

I think, @PeterPositive , that not only can you dissolve any tablet (hoping it's not bad for your teeth), but my healthcare practitioner told me to open a capsule and dump the contents under my tongue, for another supplement I'm taking.

PeterPositive

That's interesting and good news for me as I have moderate intestinal malabsorption and I usually prefer sublingual tabs over oral forms.

You mean you are dissolving the Metafolin oral tablet under your tongue?
I didn't know it worked that way too... If that's the case then almost any tablet could be used similarly? I mean sublingually.
Yup, I'm dissolving chunks of oral Solgar Metafolin tablet under my lip along with methylB12. The two of them dissolving together seem to work much better for me than separately. I just wondered how much more I'm getting this way.

As far as I know, you can do this with a lot of medications, but you have to be careful because labs calculate dosages for ingestion. You might get too much too soon as the medication goes rapidly into the bloodstream. I guess this method is best for things that don't have an upper limit toxicity, and (like Critterina said) don't have ingredients that wreck your teeth.

PeterPositive

Yup, I'm dissolving chunks of oral Solgar Metafolin tablet under my lip along with methylB12. The two of them dissolving together seem to work much better for me than separately. I just wondered how much more I'm getting this way.

As far as I know, you can do this with a lot of medications, but you have to be careful because labs calculate dosages for ingestion. You might get too much too soon as the medication goes rapidly into the bloodstream. I guess this method is best for things that don't have an upper limit toxicity, and (like Critterina said) don't have ingredients that wreck your teeth.
I think you're right. The speed at which a medication goes into the bloodstream might explain why I have had pretty strong reactions to sublingual methylfolate.

Last year I bought sublingual tabs and got many side effects even at 800mcg where with oral tabs I am at 2000mcg without issues. I suspect it might be related with the speed of absorption.

Cheers

Johnmac

I believe I have also noticed stronger effects from sublingual metafolin than from swallowing.

The tab lasts about an hour.

aturtles

For another view on this, I take Deplin-15 (15mg L-Methylfolate), opening the gel cap and guestimating the division across 4 daily doses. I have swallowed it and I have let it sit sublingually and I have yet to notice any difference.