The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Metacognitions and negative emotions as predictors of symptom severity in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

If anyone had the time (I don't atm) this could be challenged.

http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(10)00379-X/abstract

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

3. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

UK
    Use of the much unloved Oxford Criteria makes any conclusions rather suspect. Does the paper say how strong the correlations are?

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This gives an idea where they are coming from:

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Implications (in the authors' minds)

Implications (in the authors' minds):

6. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

UK
    Well, at least "managing or reducing symptom severity" is recognising he limitations of such an approach rather than suggesting anything remotely curative.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Study limitations (according to authors)

Study limitations (according to authors):
    I think some of those points are quite good and could be made again about other studies.

I have seen the Chalder Fatigue Scale questionnaire adapted so instead of asking about the last month, it asked something about before your bout of illness (wording may not be anything like that).

37 (38.5%) of the 96 had previously had CBT. I have to wonder if the results were a lot different for this group whether we would be told about it - it doesn't give an indication.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This is the point I'd make if I was writing a letter. Other people can feel free to make it if they want to write a letter:

I presume these are the 6 questions for that factor:

These could be due to the person having actual cognitive (memory) problems due to ME/CFS.

This is important as this is the factor that popped out using Hierarchical multiple regression analyses:

So lack of cognitive confidence predicted Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire-Physical, Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire-Mental (as in mental fatigue) and SF-36 physical functioning scores.

If one assumes, cognitive confidence is proportional to lack of cognitive problems due to ME/CFS, then all this shows (from what I can see) is that in ME/CFS, cognitive impairment in ME/CFS is proportional to worse scores (functioning) on Fatigue Questionnaire-Physical, Chalder Fatigue Questionnaire-Mental (as in mental fatigue) and SF-36 physical functioning.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

So more seriously ill people tend to worry more?

edit: Actually... I don't really understand many of the statements in that questionnaire:

eg: "I cannot ignore my worrying thoughts"

Isn't that a truism? I can choose to spend my time on something other than worrying, but when you are having a worrying thought, surely that means you are engaging with the worry?

Things like this : "My memory can mislead me at times" are definitely true for everyone.

"My worrying could make me go mad"... personally, I don't spend much time worrying... but as an abstract discussion of possibilities, I entirely agree that my worrying COULD make me go mad.

When you start to look at psychology questionnaires, they're really not that useful.

10. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

UK
    That's an excellent point. Also the authors seem to have done a good job of pointing out why their study was really pretty flaky (esp re CFQ) - not sure why the journal would want to publish something like this.

I'd still be interested to know how strong the correlation was :)

11. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

UK
    Agreed: it's not at all clear if they are measuring anything meaningful. I don't really understand how 'Validation' of questionnaire works but it seems to involve checking for repeat reliability, correlation with other made-up questionnaires and within the questionnaire - it never seems to involve proving that the questionnaire is measuring something meaningful and doing it accurately.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, I have picked up that impression also. Feel I need to read up more to see if there are flaws in how they are doing it compared to how they are supposed to do it.

Regarding this paper, I wonder have metacognitions been looked at for other "physical" illnesses. I reckon it might "fall down" with, for example, neurological conditions that affect brain functioning.

13. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Much enjoyed the "study limitations" and "findings with caution" - Quite so and for all the reasons.

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

All these CFS studies should have somthing like an MS control group imo.

(It is a bit unfair on MS patients though... If the results keep being the same then I think a lot of doctors would be rather assume MS patients were psychologically disturbed than start treating their CFS patients as if they were not)

15. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

UK
    Me too. Though I think the 'how they are supposed to be doing it' might also prove to be unconvincing. When I;ve finished the joys of my biostatistics textbook I might feel up to this kind of work.

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

:D (message now 10 chars).

17. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    "Bob, you're feeling so bad because you aren't thinking the right way about losing your leg to that cocodile! View it as a way to have new challenges!"

Oh, how I wish psychs would go play spacehoppers in a minefield...
    :thumbsup:

See more popular forum discussions.