• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mesalazine

snowathlete

I have been taking slow release mesalazine for a year since I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. At first it had no noticable effect on the ME/CFS (though I was very sick with both so I guess it was hard to distinguish at the time). But, now that my UC is 95% better, if I forget to take a dose, as I have four or five times now, then my "inflammation" -- that I associate with ME/CFS and which was present before the UC -- ramps up very noticably and I feel much worse for a day or two until the drug gets back to normal levels in my system. It's too big a difference for me to pass up this chance to figure out what might be going on.

I still feel very sick with ME/CFS when I'm taking the drug as normal, but still, there is an undeniable and repeatable worsening if I forget to take the drug. My UC does not noticably get any worse. So is the mesalazine actually having some kind of positive effect on the ME/CFS? And if so, what might be the method of action?

When I was being seen by KDM I had very high PGE2 and IL-8 (which I understand is driven by PGE2) and I know that one thing mesalazine does is inhitit COX-2 which drives PGE2 production. Is this why then, or perhaps something else is going on?

darroo

perhaps an infection causing inflammation to control it and localize it, try anti fungals so if thats the cultprit