Get a Ringside Seat for Invest in ME’s 10th International Conference on 29 May
This Friday, 29 May sees the tenth International ME Conference put on by UK research charity Invest in ME (IiME) in London. The day-long conference will include 220 participants from 17 countries and will be attended by researchers, clinicians and patients.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mental Illness Or Methylation Mutation?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by arx, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Johnmac

Johnmac Senior Member

Southeast Asia
    Brad, according to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_schizophrenia

...Mexico & Italy don't have especially high rates of schizophrenia.

I presume diet would play a role - but:

"...the impact of schizophrenia tends to be highest in Oceania, the Middle East, and East Asia, while the nations of Australia, Japan, the United States, and most of Europe typically have low impact."

All (with the partial exception of East Asia) have a healthy level of meat consumption.

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Also the rate of neural tube defect don't correlate with the high presence of those mutations in Italy at least.
    Lifestyle and diet seem to play a pretty powerful role. And maybe there's other "stuff" we simply don't know about.

3. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City

HI Arx,

I didn't see this earlier. There are a subset of people here who have all the usual CFS/FMS symptoms, and a lot of anxiety, extra cautious, things like that. If they have been taking benzos, many of them reach a point of accommodation where the desired effects of the benzo are overpowered by what looks like the generally quiet potential side effect of the benzo reducing dopamine receptor sensitivity. They then have what is popularly called "tolerance withdrawal" and it is really difficult to taper from the benzo and increasing it only works a little while until it gets even worse. This "anxiety" and extra caution person is the one, often along with "wired and tired", that then has extreme responses to any of the Deadlock Quartet and especially, the carnitine which is the only one that can be micro titrated relatively easily.

I take Lorazepam for neuropathy caused spasms. I haven't found any alternative that works. I don't develop tolerance "withdrawal" and I never had a extreme response to carnitine that sets of unbearable mood sequences.

In the deadlock situation, when it is the lack of ATP preventing adequate dopamine and hypothesized damage (Parkinson's like limbic demyelinations), the very early initial startup of the mitochondria usually by LCF is a through the roof even. amounts somewhere between >100mcg and <1mg can trigger a hyper response. In the two years since Arx posted this a number of people have successfully titrated carnitine back to normal doses and normal responses.

arx likes this.
  4. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    What you have to be careful of is that there are different MTHFR mutations, and A1298C is associated with schizophrenia, C677T is not but is associated with neural tube defects. Diet (the ability to get methylfolate from foods) will compensate for both of them.

ahmo likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.