Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Mental health and behavioural conditions account for nearly one-in-three known fit notes

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by RogerBlack, Aug 31, 2017.

1. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Invisible Woman and Jo Best like this.
  2. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

This is interesting as it's unlikely that CFS was ever mapped as ICD-10 G93.3, nor perhaps ME or PVFS.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  3. JohnCB

JohnCB Immoderate

England
    By the time I had a formal diagnosis, I had long stopped getting sick notes as they used to be known. By that stage I had been interviewed for Incapacity Benefit and the GP didn't have to keep filling them out. My early sick notes described by condition as "general debility". I had TATT written in big letters on the folder for my medical notes. I assume that figures in this report do not include people who have been through the rigours of getting ESA.

Jo Best and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I'm not saying that it is a perfect system.
    However, a largish fraction of those who have a CFS diagnosis and then need to either apply for benefit, or are having work issues, will need a sicknote.

This would give a very crude 'incidence' rate - if you estimate benefit on-flow + working + school age population, even if there was no other info.

(incidence in quotes, as it's diagnosis by GP, often)

Jo Best likes this.
  5. JohnCB

JohnCB Immoderate

England
    The point of my post is that I did have sick notes but not a diagnosis of ME/CFS. Many people wait a long time for a diagnosis and they may well, like me, have had to progress into the ESA system. It means that many people who get a diagnosis of ME/CFS will never show up in records of sick or fit notes.

Jo Best likes this.
  6. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    @JohnCB This is the same for me. Got ME/CFS diagnosis just after I gave up work.

JohnCB likes this.
  7. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Sorry, I was unclear - it provides a lower incidence of people that could be diagnosed as CFS using the criteria of GPs that diagnose CFS.
    (if that makes sense).
    It is both unclear on the low end (missed diagnosis) and on the upper end (misdiagnosis), as well as 'more important' comorbidities.

See more popular forum discussions.