Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Memory loss caused by West Nile virus explained

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

ME/CFS can often follow an infection and I've heard descriptions of the long-term effects of West Nile virus that sounded similar enough to ME/CFS and so possibly of relevance/interest.

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/memory-loss-caused-west-nile-virus-explained/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Interesting stuff.

FWIW, that was Ian Lipkin

Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, Virus-Hunting Master - The New York Times (Carl Zimmer piece)

Sidereal, MEMum, merylg and 9 others like this.
  3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Everybody here wont have the same thing,so its worth thinking about other angles

Justin30 likes this.
  4. eastcoast12

eastcoast12 Senior Member

Long Island ny
    Hence "possible/relevant interest"

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

So this is what the West Nile virus study says is happening in the brains of mice:

(1) There are high levels of complement system molecules in the brains of these mice with West Nile virus infection. The study says that complement C3 and C3a receptors are involved.

(2) The hippocampal microglia were highly activated by the West Nile virus infection.

(3) Normally, complement molecules tag synapses that are not required, and once tagged, it is the job of microglia to delete and remove the unwanted tagged synapse.

(4) However, because both the level of the complement molecules and the level of microglial activation is high in these infected mice brains, too many synapses get deleted, leading to memory problems, because new synapses must be formed or strengthened for learning and memory to occur.

It is interesting that complement C4a is activated by exercise in ME/CFS. Ref: 1

And C4a is active in Lyme disease. Ref: 1

Erythropoietin (EPO, Procrit) lowers C4a, see this article.

More info: Intro to C4A (Complement Component 4 A) and Its Role in CFS, Mold, and Histamine Intolerance

Not sure if this C4a activation in ME/CFS and Lyme might relate to the synaptic deletion found in the West Nile virus study.

See more popular forum discussions.