• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Megasporebiotic - Has anyone tried this?

Peyt

Here is an interview of Dr. Pimentel done by Chris Kresser.
What was most interesting to me is a new product that inhibits Methane production (Min 41:30) ... have you heard of this product? At the time of this interview it was in the 2nd phase and not released yet to the market but considering this interview was done back in Sept/2015 I wonder if it is now released.

topaz

I did a 2 week round round of rifaximan and neomycin late last year per Dr Kaufman at OMI then was retested earlier this year and still had sibo so dr Kaufman had me do another round (2 weeks) of rifaximan and flagyl this time. In the meantime I had started to see a functional medicine dr and he sent me a table showing where depending on how high you levels of bacteria were (either methane or hydrogen) your course of treatment should be anywhere from 30 to 90 days. Mine is 90.

Additionally, he sent me study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24836868) showing that the generic rifaximan that we get out of the country on the cheap (well, cheaper lol, still quite pricy) isn't as effective because they don't have the same chemical makeup or react quite the same in our bodies or something can't remember). I had ordered mine through a Canadian pharmacy and it came from India. Luckily my insurance approved the xifaxin this time otherwise he said that he'd heard of a compounding pharmacy in Australia that made one for a 3rd of the u.s. Price that would work equally as well.

He has me on a very clean diet, had me quit all non absolutely essential meds and supplements for the 3 months we are treating this (sibo, yeast overgrowth, leaky gut) and has started me on the below as a combination protocol. With the xifaxin 3x a day but I've finished the flagyl:

OPTIONAL

• Super Milk Thistle (Integrative Therapeutics)
    • Activated Charcoal (Integrative Therapeutics)
Hello
Thank you for this post.

Quite coincidentally, I've devised a plan similar to this to treat my SIBO. I came across your post while (trying to) research when to take the PHGG and how to time taking the biofilm disruptor and the abx.

Im surprised that you take the PHGG at night as I assumed it should be taken earlier. I have to think about this..... maybe feeding the bacteria at night makes them happy and complacent before being hit by the biofilm disruptor and then the abx. This is the study that suggested that taking PHGG improves effectiveness of rifaximin http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20937045

My specific question to you is: When were you advised to take the Rifaximin in the above protocol? ie x mins after the Interfase; x mins before or after the PHGG?

Thank you for this post!

Firefly_

Hello
Thank you for this post.

Quite coincidentally, I've devised a plan similar to this to treat my SIBO. I came across your post while (trying to) research when to take the PHGG and how to time taking the biofilm disruptor and the abx.

Im surprised that you take the PHGG at night as I assumed it should be taken earlier. I have to think about this..... maybe feeding the bacteria at night makes them happy and complacent before being hit by the biofilm disruptor and then the abx. This is the study that suggested that taking PHGG improves effectiveness of rifaximin http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20937045

My specific question to you is: When were you advised to take the Rifaximin in the above protocol? ie x mins after the Interfase; x mins before or after the PHGG?

Thank you for this post!
I take the Interfase 1st thing in the morning then don't eat breakfast for at least an hour and a half after. I take a rifaximan with each meal and take the Interfase again in the mid afternoon between lunch and dinner on an empty stomach.

Peyt

I just wanted to give an update on my case.
Since my last post, I started taking HCL+Pepcin with my meals. This helped reduce the bloating and gas a lot. However, my body was feeling heavy and painful. A week after starting HCL and Pepcin I took the breath test. (The last time I took the breath test was 3 years ago which showed high Methane).... A week later I talked with my Doctor over the phone. He said your test results show unusually low in Methane and Hydrogen and he also said something else that I forgot to write down... but anyways, he pointed out that this new pattern usually indicated the 3rd type of SIBO (which is still being studied) which produces the Hydrogen-Sulfite gas .... He said there is not a test for it yet.
I have made another appointment to take the test next week and have stopped taking the HCL+Pepcin so if there is anything it won't mask it.

At the same time, since I knew I have the CBS++ gene (which I learned when I got my 23andme test back) I knew
I had a sulfite oxidation problem( mutation of this gene results in sulfite not properly converting to sulfate which is the less toxic form and so it builds up in the system and liver excessively)....
I am also +/- on BHMT-08 which is a gene that works with Betaine and knowing that the HCL+Pepcin I take is made with Betaine(almost all of the brands of HCL are made with that) I suspected that the increase in body pain and aches may be due to taking this extra Betaine because apparently BHMT and CBS have a coloration...

Anyways, after reading up on CBS++ I found out the supplement that helps the sulfite pathway work and convert the sulfite to sulfate(sulfate is the less toxic form) is Molybdenum. I have started taking that since 3 days ago.. But I am experiencing sever headaches so not sure how long more I can keep taking it. Meanwhile I feel the pain in my body is improved and lessened 60% and my bloating and gas has reduced too just in 3 days! ....

Meanwhile I have scheduled another breath test for next week.

Last edited:

Peyt

Another update... I have since switched my brand of Molybdenum and my headaches are gone.
I realized the Solgar brand that I was using before has Dicalcium Phosphate in it and Calcium in general always gives me constipation and headache. I have since switched to a brand called Biotics and the product name is Mo-Zyme and I am now up to 150mcg a day with no side effects. In fact I feel less bloated and calmer(mentally) ..
I am also using D-Ribose which I got the idea from heartfixer.com (the page that talks about CBS++) this has slightly improved my sleep at night and slightly increased my energy during the day with no side effects. I am doing much better just between these 2 supplements. Still awaiting my test results for the last SIBO test I took last week.

Firefly_

Another update... I have since switched my brand of Molybdenum and my headaches are gone.
I realized the Solgar brand that I was using before has Dicalcium Phosphate in it and Calcium in general always gives me constipation and headache. I have since switched to a brand called Biotics and the product name is Mo-Zyme and I am now up to 150mcg a day with no side effects. In fact I feel less bloated and calmer(mentally) ..
I am also using D-Ribose which I got the idea from heartfixer.com (the page that talks about CBS++) this has slightly improved my sleep at night and slightly increased my energy during the day with no side effects. I am doing much better just between these 2 supplements. Still awaiting my test results for the last SIBO test I took last week.
I too use d ribose, don't know that it's helped my sleep at all, but it does help me a bit with energy.

Peyt

OPTIONAL

Hi Firefly,
Have you experienced improved regularity in bowel movement using any of these products on your list? If yes, may I ask which one?

Firefly_

I have actually been taking Iberogast since August per dr Kaufman for terrible constipation, worked wonders when nothing else would. I started out taking it everyday, then had to taper down till I was only taking it about twice a month, but with the gut protocol from the FMD I started needing it more often as things slowed down again for some reason. So yeah, the Iberogast is indispensable for that. I never have used it 3x a day though, don't need that much.

Peyt

I have actually been taking Iberogast since August per dr Kaufman for terrible constipation, worked wonders when nothing else would. I started out taking it everyday, then had to taper down till I was only taking it about twice a month, but with the gut protocol from the FMD I started needing it more often as things slowed down again for some reason. So yeah, the Iberogast is indispensable for that. I never have used it 3x a day though, don't need that much.
Thanks for your reply,
Unfortunately I do poorly with Iberogast due to it having alcohol in.

Peyt

I just got my test results back (this is my 3rd test) and I barely have SIBO :)
Having SIBO (Methane) requires the Methane to register above 3 and mine registered at 4!
Huge improvement from 3 years ago where it registered in the 80's!
I attached the test result (removed my personal info)

My Dr. wants me to do a blood test for IBS before he decides a course of action...

Attachments

• BREATH TEST RESULTS.pdf
    373.4 KB · Views: 15

Firefly_

@Peyt and @topaz I just got my test results back and my highest methane reading was 5 whereas before it was 80 so we consider it pretty much cured, yay!! Just wanted to give you an update. I did roughly 10 weeks of rifaximan in addition to the above mentioned protocol and then we retested. I am continuing the probiotics and some of the other things but we are moving on to a more detoxing protocol now. I'm tickled pink. I am so grateful that I have some pretty smart docs!

I did a 2 week round round of rifaximan and neomycin late last year per Dr Kaufman at OMI then was retested earlier this year and still had sibo so dr Kaufman had me do another round (2 weeks) of rifaximan and flagyl this time. In the meantime I had started to see a functional medicine dr and he sent me a table showing where depending on how high you levels of bacteria were (either methane or hydrogen) your course of treatment should be anywhere from 30 to 90 days. Mine is 90.

Additionally, he sent me study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24836868) showing that the generic rifaximan that we get out of the country on the cheap (well, cheaper lol, still quite pricy) isn't as effective because they don't have the same chemical makeup or react quite the same in our bodies or something can't remember). I had ordered mine through a Canadian pharmacy and it came from India. Luckily my insurance approved the xifaxin this time otherwise he said that he'd heard of a compounding pharmacy in Australia that made one for a 3rd of the u.s. Price that would work equally as well.

He has me on a very clean diet, had me quit all non absolutely essential meds and supplements for the 3 months we are treating this (sibo, yeast overgrowth, leaky gut) and has started me on the below as a combination protocol. With the xifaxin 3x a day but I've finished the flagyl:

OPTIONAL

Can I ask you where you got your Neomycin from please? I'm UK based and my GP won't prescribe me the Neomycin because its not something they usually prescribe over here.

I've been trying to tackle this SIBO for the last year and a half after a brain haemhorrage which caused the chronic fatigue for the past 13 years. I hate antibiotics but the antimicrobial herbs that I've been taking don't seem to be quite doing it after 7 months so I'd like to give the combo of Rifaxamin and Neomycin a try!

Many thanks!