• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medscape: Postexertion 'Crash,' not Fatigue per se

hixxy

The article comes off as a bit vague when explaining PEM. I guess that reflects how difficult it is to explain.

Hutan

I thought the article was very good. Great to see the long list of research finding differences in PWME after exercise compared to healthy people. Some of the percentages are a bit hard to interpret the way they are presented, but probably most readers won't be paying that much attention.

The name "chronic fatigue syndrome" is being phased out not just because it is viewed as trivializing a condition that renders many patients completely or nearly bedbound but also because it gives the misleading impression that the illness is characterized simply by prolonged unexplained fatigue. In fact, ME/CFS is characterized by multiple heterogeneous symptoms, with PEM, often described as a "crash" or a significant worsening of already-present symptoms, being a near-universal experience.
Although fatigue was the most commonly exacerbated symptom, more than 30% of patients also reported cognitive difficulties, sleep disturbance, headache, muscle pain, and influenza-like feelings. Some also reported gastrointestinal, orthostatic, and mood-related exacerbations.
"PEM consists of more than just fatigue and pain. It's an exacerbation of multiple symptoms, some of which are atypically associated with exertion," Dr Chu told Medscape Medical News.

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
'The name "chronic fatigue syndrome" is being phased out...'

I've asked Miriam Tucker if she will provide the source for this statement.

If the Medscape article's journalist is referring to the IOM Committee's Recommendations, it is my understanding that no federal agency has issued a statement of intention to adopt the Committee's proposed name "systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID)."

Additionally, since the IOM Committee's Report published, there have been four meetings of the ICD-10-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee (in March 2015, September 2015, March 2016, September 2016).

To date, no proposals have been submitted by any federal agency or by any other party via the ICD-10-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee proposal mechanism for the inclusion of the term "systemic exertion intolerance disease" within ICD-10-CM, either coded as an inclusion term under an existing ICD code nor any proposal for the creation of a new code and chapter placement for any new term to replace Chronic fatigue syndrome NOS under R53.82, or to replace either of the two terms under G93.3.

If I receive a clarification from Miriam for the source, I will update on what she based her statement on.

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Miriam Tucker, the Medscape article journalist, has confirmed that where she wrote

'The name "chronic fatigue syndrome" is being phased out...'

she meant that it is now called "ME/CFS" in many official U.S. government documents including the IOM report.

Last edited: