August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medscape: Postexertion 'Crash,' not Fatigue per se

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Never Give Up, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

ahimsa, Simon, MEMum and 9 others like this.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    The article comes off as a bit vague when explaining PEM. I guess that reflects how difficult it is to explain.

3. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    I thought the article was very good. Great to see the long list of research finding differences in PWME after exercise compared to healthy people. Some of the percentages are a bit hard to interpret the way they are presented, but probably most readers won't be paying that much attention.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Jan, MEMum, mango and 5 others like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Good, but too short! I wanted to read more about immune and metabolism findings.

The PEM studies seem highly reproducible.

MEMum, mango and Hutan like this.
  5. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch

UK
    'The name "chronic fatigue syndrome" is being phased out...'

I've asked Miriam Tucker if she will provide the source for this statement.

If the Medscape article's journalist is referring to the IOM Committee's Recommendations, it is my understanding that no federal agency has issued a statement of intention to adopt the Committee's proposed name "systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID)."

Additionally, since the IOM Committee's Report published, there have been four meetings of the ICD-10-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee (in March 2015, September 2015, March 2016, September 2016).

To date, no proposals have been submitted by any federal agency or by any other party via the ICD-10-CM Coordination and Maintenance Committee proposal mechanism for the inclusion of the term "systemic exertion intolerance disease" within ICD-10-CM, either coded as an inclusion term under an existing ICD code nor any proposal for the creation of a new code and chapter placement for any new term to replace Chronic fatigue syndrome NOS under R53.82, or to replace either of the two terms under G93.3.

If I receive a clarification from Miriam for the source, I will update on what she based her statement on.

6. Denise

Denise Senior Member

fwiw - at least for now, a Google search for "postexertion crash" provides access to the article without having to sign-in to Medscape.

Paintmyturquoise and MEMum like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch

UK
    Miriam Tucker, the Medscape article journalist, has confirmed that where she wrote

'The name "chronic fatigue syndrome" is being phased out...'

she meant that it is now called "ME/CFS" in many official U.S. government documents including the IOM report.

Paintmyturquoise, Jan, MEMum and 4 others like this.
  8. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Miriam Tucker's ME/CFS biomarkers article is currently the most popular article with physicians on Medscape. Let's give all 3 of her recent Medscape articles more traffic to ncrease their visibility.

See more popular forum discussions.