A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medscape perspective on Managing SEID

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by daisybell, Mar 3, 2015.

1. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Kati likes this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    I just get a login request when I click on the link.

3. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Anyone can sign up for a free acount.

Kati likes this.
  4. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

The author says:

5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I wonder whether these doctors realize that they're hating, and discriminating against, a vulnerable minority group.

I guess racism, religious intolerance, and discrimination against gays is no longer socially acceptable. Who else is left? Ah yes, those lazy patients with imaginary diseases.

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    He also suggests CBT/GET and is swayed by the claims of Wessely.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. Denise

Denise Senior Member

It also seems he sticks to the "party line" of the Infectious Disease Society of America on Lyme (that it can't be chronic).

Antares in NYC likes this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member

10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    Dr Weber keeps a low profile. A google search didn't turn up anything.

Roseblossom likes this.
  11. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    My gp was dictating a letter about me to a urologist (nothing to do with ME, I peed a load of blood one morning).

In it, he described me as being; "A highly educated lady in her mid-50s..."

I did suspect that was gp slang for; "pain in the ar*e who actually knows something, be careful". :thumbsup:

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I was once described as "interesting" :rolleyes: who knows what that meant.

merylg and peggy-sue like this.
  13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Annie Gsampel

Scotland
    Sweet of him but what does being highly educated have to do with peeing blood?
    That's never meant as a compliment. Take it for me, I can be interesting, too. :hug:

I was one described as a very pleasant, young lady woman. Of course, that was a while ago. :whistle:

[Edited: no one has ever described me as a lady. I don't know what I was thinking]

merylg, SOC, peggy-sue and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mij

Mij Senior Member

yes lol because there was a report where he wrote "and it will eventually all disappear".

merylg, peggy-sue and Scarecrow like this.
  15. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    @Scarecrow - I wondered what my education had to do with the workings of my bladder too, which is why I decided it was some sort of gp slang warning about me on a personal level.

I failed to fall for his flannel about dualism with regard to my being sick. :p
    He was not happy about that.:grumpy:

merylg, Mij, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  16. ahimsa

ahimsa Sick since 1990

Oregon, USA
    Depressing article, @Mij, but I'm glad you posted it.

In the article above, the doctor says:
    Sad, but mostly true. There's an old saying, "Nothing ever happens until it happens to you."

PS. Oops, this is a bit of a tangent. I have not yet read the Medscape article in the first post.

WillowJ, merylg and Mij like this.
  17. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    In the Internet, anyone can be a "doctor". His trolling is so unprofessional and insulting I doubt he really is an MD. It sounds like someone with serious hate for people with Cfs, or obese people, or Americans.
    Is there a way to flag that comment to Medscape on the grounds of utter douchebaggery?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Gamboa likes this.
  18. ahimsa

ahimsa Sick since 1990

Oregon, USA
    I just managed to read the Medscape article. Pretty useless, in my view.

But Kati in the comments (I think that's the same person as @Kati on these forums?) posted good comments. So maybe that will help sway some folks reading the article who are unsure. She even got a response from the editor about the error in the title (saying Exercise instead of Exertion). So that was nice!

However, if the "exercise" instead of "exertion" was only a headline error, then why did the author also make the same mistake in the body of the article? I did not view the video so I don't know whether the author also said the wrong word or whether it was a spell check or editorial correction.

At any rate, I don't think the article provides any useful information at all for folks on this forum. Just my two cents.

Roseblossom likes this.
  19. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Yes this is my comments over there. I have discovered the 'report' button and so I have flagged some comments as offensive. Hopefully that helps.

merylg, Snowdrop, Gamboa and 4 others like this.
  20. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
    I subscribe to Medscape and get the Weekly Report, a collection of the top articles, usually about 30 articles covering a wide range of topics. The subject of this thread was in this weeks collection so it is now out there for many more people to see as opposed to being just under the "Infectious Disease" category it was under or under CFS for those who had tagged that as a topic of interest.

I finally looked at it and thought it was quite atrocious. How could this have gotten onto Medscape? The doctor commenting was talking about "Dr Simon Wessley and colleagues" with reverence and respect!! He mentioned GET and CBT!! Who is this doctor who made this short clip and why couldn't we have had someone like Dr. Montoya, Dr. Klimas, Dr. Lipkin, ......and the list goes on.

And, as usual, the troll Dr. Weber was commenting. Perhaps we should all just respond with the words "troll" every time he comments and not lead him into any debates. That might just shut him up. At the moment he is enjoying getting everyone riled up and upset. Ignoring him might be the answer.

I also made a number of comments but I'm not sure whether that is good since we don't want this article/video clip to become popular. The less it is seen the better.

Roseblossom and halcyon like this.

See more popular forum discussions.