1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medpage Today: IOM - COI (Conflict of Interest)

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Nielk, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/PainManagement/PainManagement/46482?isalert=1

continue here.
    taniaaust1, NK17, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    so, that's why P2P is now doing a report on opioiod use in chronic pain?

(according to the preliminary materials, it appears that they will look at it primarily as an addiction/abuse problem.)
  3. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

I'm not surprised at all by reading this eye opening article.

The system is broken, rotten and definitely not transparent.

Special interests are deeply ingrained into the way and acts of the FDA and all others decisions' making agencies.

Approval of new drugs is fueled by blind profit making big pharma companies, which basically bribe doctors and the government to flood the market with what in many cases are just band-aid drugs, not treatments and certainly not cures.

Why would it be different for ME/CFS and the IOM?

Well maybe in our case we have the "advantage"/disadvantage of a lack of a single universal biomarker, the holy grail of old school medicine.

If our few real experts on the IOM panel will stand united and defend what we know to be true and categorically refuse to use any GIGO (garbage in garbage out) study into account for their final decision, maybe we will have an acceptable new definition, but then again science is not done via miracles and a broken system is hardly ever a good system, even less for very ill patients like PWME.

Thank you @Nielk for starting this thread, I'm sure advocates like Jeannette Burmeister are aware of it.

This needs to be tweeted, facebooked and more!
    Nielk likes this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Im not at all surprised, the whole system is corrupt, we shouldnt be expecting anything good to come out of IOM. There should of been huge protests over it.
    Nielk likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.