Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MediSieve — science being awesome

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by sarah darwins, Feb 23, 2016.

1. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Sometimes it's good to be reminded of just how awesome science can be.

There's something a bit old school about this invention, and about its inventor.

Source: The Telegraph, 23 Feb 2016 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...166495/Fresh-blood-to-help-fight-malaria.html

MediSieve website: http://www.medisieve.com

2. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

PARASITES MAKE US MAGNETIC ?

Then Dr Frodsham came across research that demonstrated malaria-infected blood cells are naturally magnetic

Basically, as a natural part of the malaria life cycle, the parasite eats the human blood in the red blood cell,’ Dr Frodsham explained.

So in essence, the parasite eats the protein but leaves behind the blood’s iron – which is paramagnetic.

Dr Frodsham said: ‘That gives malaria cells unique and naturally occurring magnetic properties.’

The scientist fine-tuned his technology while completing his PhD in biochemical engineering – and formally founded his company, MediSieve, in May 2015.

The device MediSieve generates a strong magnetic force that prevents the malaria-infected blood cells from continuing on their path, the scientist explained.

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3458817/Could-medical-sieve-cure-malaria-Pioneering-device-uses-magnetic-force-strip-infected-cells-blood.html

[​IMG]

MEMum, Invisible Woman, ahmo and 4 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Wow...

:trophy::trophy::trophy::star: for Dr Frodsham!

4. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

i think that such things are the diagnostic tools we need.

measuring magnetics and measuring pheromones.
    there must be specifics for both, that are typical at least for classes/groups(...) of pathogens.

because, parasitic infection (i mean virus, bacteria, helminths, amoebas.. all) is not equally distributed over the body.
    this may depend not only on pathogens but also e.g. genetics.

when they take blood for diagnosis its totally insufficient.
    when they take a tissue biopsie its the same stupid crap.
    to me this looks like an idiots lottery...

there should be a sort of scanner for the whole body, locating pathogens ...
    ...perhaps by magnetic, pheromones (...)

i dont think, we need to have the name of that specific bacteria (etc).
    if they were properly grouped with befriended pals would be even better.
    we need to treat all anyway.

5. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    Sasha, I'll defer to you for a final decision but personally I feel he deserves an extra trophy for the haircut. That's a proper scientist do, that is.

Invisible Woman, JaimeS and Woolie like this.
  6. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Valentijn and sarah darwins like this.
  7. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    Maybe we should have a have a roll of honour for people doing ‘cool science’? It would be a nice, positive thing for us to recognise those who are just getting on with solving problems and figuring out stuff to help people.

8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Soooo cooool

I should add that I had a very odd experience in which my encephalitic pain dissipated immediately in the wake of a strong, electrical impulse... though that could have been the nerves frying too. ;)

One of Mayo's 'nerve impulse' tests.

Valentijn, sarah darwins and Effi like this.
  9. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

10. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Haven't you heard? ;) All pubs are now free...:jaw-drop: try this: go to this site: sic-hub.cc and paste in the blank the DOI number for the article (10.1515/bmt-2015-0056)

See Wikipedia here for more info on sci-hub. Note that the site moves around a lot as They try to shut it down, but so far Wikipedia has had the most up-to-date URL.

:whistle:

Valentijn likes this.
  11. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Ah yesss, sci-hub! :D :D :D

See more popular forum discussions.