1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

medication sensitivity

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by Cindi, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

Hi all

I am having some sensitivity reactions when i take some medication. My brain feel strange. i feel confused and have head ache.I also feel depressed but not sure if it is because of having brain problems or if it is also another symptom by itself. I am thinking it could be due to lactose intolerance.Anyone have similar reactions to lactose containing medication?thanks.
  2. Aileen

Aileen Senior Member

Canada
    Lots of us have weird reactions to meds (and everything else).

To figure out if the lactose is the problem, perhaps one of the following might work:

1. Try taking lactase, the enzyme needed to break down lactose. It is available for those with lactose intolerance to take with meals, so maybe it would work with meds too? Has anyone tried this?

2. Ask the pharmacist if a lactose-free version of the med is available. If not, perhaps it could be compounded for you (made up specially for you without the lactose)
    taniaaust1 and Cindi like this.
  3. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Could also be a histamine reaction. Sometimes histamines flood brain, not only skin or congestion, etc.
    Cindi likes this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I have a lot of medicine bad reactions and when I have.. its found out later the medication is one which affects negativitely mitochondria eg statins.. or is in the large family of medications which I have a gene mutation which often can respond badly to those drug familes (hence 23andME testing helped me understand why I was probably reactly poorly to so many different drugs.. the mutations I have affect around 25% of drugs. I now understand what drugs I need to try to avoid).
    Cindi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.