1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medicare may cover home care for chronic illnesses

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Sushi, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/u...es-rules-for-some-medicare-patients.html?_r=0

2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I'm not clear on what was happening to these people. Would they end up in nursing homes and did
    Medicare pay for that ? Or in some cases, did they end up in hospice, because their condition was
    terminal within x amount of time, and did medicare pay for that ?

Home care for the disabled is going to be very expensive. Not that going into a nursing home is a
    good option either.

Tc .. X

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    No idea about where you are... here in Australia someone needing a lot of care (more then just gov paid home support hours.. dont you guys have agencies which do that where you are??).. sometimes young ones.. can end up in nursing homes, stuck there with just all the elderly. This is something which is currently trying to be changed. Ending up in a nursing home if I crashed extremely bad again, is one of my fears.

4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Under the present rules (which is what has been overturned), you could only get home care if you were expected to get a lot better--in other words, fairly short term. Nursing homes are paid for (very poor nursing homes I believe) for those who have used up all there money, but that is a poor choice if you can be cared for at home. I think it is Medicaid that pays for nursing homes, not Medicare, but I am not sure about this.

When they have done cost studies, it was less expensive to supply home care (for the government) than to pay for a nursing home.

Sushi

5. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Yes, the majority of nursing home care is covered by Medicaid. Medicare only covers a few weeks usually following say a hospitalization and it's often for extremely specific reasons, like IV antibiotics or complex wound care. Nursing home care where you don't need specialized services but need help with washing yourself, meals, 24-hr. supervision, etc. is NOT covered. The problem is that nursing home care is extremely expensive in the US (on the order of thousands a month, even for poor care) so most people cannot afford it. Medicaid will only step in though when the person/ family has practically spent the majority of their assets and near poverty level.

Most people would prefer to stay home and, as Sushi says, there are studies showing home care is less expensive than nursing home. Supplying someone even with 10 hours of care X 5 days a week = 50 hours while their family works with the family taking over in the evening is much less than 24hour care/ 7 days a week = how nursing homes are constructed even if the person is sleeping and not needing anything.

6. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Here in N.M one can qualify for the Disabled and Elderly waiver.....where you can get help with activities of everyday living for free. The waiting list is quite long. I got on the waiting list.......took 3 years and by the time they called me I was going through a relatively good period and hence turned down the help because I thought others worse off than me could use the help.......boy was that a mistake.

7. Vincent

Vincent Senior Member

Baltimore, Maryland USA
    Currently you can only qualify for a home health aide if you need skilled nursing care. It would be a godsend if they would change the rules and allow those of us, who can't take care of ourselfss to get the help we need.

See more popular forum discussions.