Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medicare, labs and naturopaths

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by minkeygirl, Dec 1, 2015.

1. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Medicare does not acknowledge Naturopaths so I pay out of pocket to see mine. Medicare does pay for any RX's she writes.

I am finally (I think) ready to switch over to straight Medicare but this is my question. If my NP orders labs, will they pay? or do they only look at the diagnostic code? My PCP will order some stuff but I'm tired of explaining to him and fighting. I just want someone to order stuff.

Does anyone know for sure? I'm not calling Medicare. I have not had the opportunity to call the local advocacy agency yet.

Thanks. Please tag me.

@Sushi do you know?

Jennifer J likes this.
  2. minkeygirl

Left Coast
  3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    @minkeygirl
    I'm not sure if this would work for you, but my Medicare HMO doc ordered labs for me that my integrative medicine doctor wrote, such as things to rule out Lyme, and serum-based testing for food allergies. Cost me nothing at the time.

Now that the plan has changed I have a 20% copay for any and all lab work.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @CFS_for_19_years as you see above, that won't work and is the problem. I'm trying to eliminate the middle man.

Also dropping hmo.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  5. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @minkeygirl - I think you're right, that Medicare probably wouldn't pay for labs your NP orders - but - I'm surprised it does pay for prescriptions she writes. Maybe there is some loophole she works with. I would ask your NP if her labs are ever covered by Medicare, she should know.

FWIW, and I know this isn't your situation, Medicare will pay for labs ordered by non-participating Medicare doctors (like Dr. Kaufman at OMI).

See more popular forum discussions.