The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Medically Unexplained Symptoms" - Diverting 5-Year Funding from Mental Health

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MEMum, Jul 4, 2017.

1. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

2. SamanthaJ

SamanthaJ Senior Member

Great article.

3. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    A great article, and may be just the kind of thing to send to commisioners.

She's done well to condense the main arguments into such few words I think.

4. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Makes you wonder whether the commissioners reviewing this report will show as much drive and professionalism as was seen in the European Parliament today?

Can just imagine a stuffy room full of empty seats with just the chairman reading it out to the minute taker and waving it through as approved.

Of course they could do their job and challenge the content? Here's hoping.

Invisible Woman and MEMum like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    It is a very good article. Does anyone have more information on this statement from it?

Can this be verified? So this is saying that all participants in the trial who were not working at the beginning of the trial were still not working by the end of it? Was the raw data on employment ever released?

If true, surely it is a major blow to the whole MUS treatment approach?

6. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    She's written a lot of good articles plus two books:
    http://www.positivehealth.com/author/nancy-blake

7. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

A good article, but it seems to be published on a complementary medicine website which may lower it's credibility in the medical and political worlds. And she's a promoter of NLP which I know almost nothing about except it has dubious credibility.

Does anyone know more?

Barry53, TiredSam, MEMum and 3 others like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I have read this before - I'm trying to remember where. If memory serves figures for unemployment were slightly worse at the end of the trial while benefit claims / reliance were the same or slightly increased.

I'll see if I can remember where I read it.....don't hold your breath mind! :)

Hutan, MEMum, Jo Best and 1 other person like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

In fact, I remember this was raised somewhere and the response from one of the PACE PIs, possibly P White, was that it wasn't their fault that the economy wasn't great/suitable employment couldn't be found, or some such fact dodging, self serving excuse.

Yeah - it's not that these bbedridden/housebound, cognitively impaired folk who can barely (if they're lucky) manage personal care aren't fit for work. It's that suitable work isn't available. :rolleyes::depressed::mad:

Hutan, MEMum, Jo Best and 1 other person like this.
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

i think this is pretty good and am going to post it on the other online places I use where people arent anything like as well informed as PR folks

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I do not recall reading anything, but my memory is mush, that proves that nobody returned to work. Its more that in total there was not an improvement in employment, but I could not swear that nobody fit that description. If one person did get into work, and three dropped out of work, for example, the average would be worse but there would indeed be one who returned to work. It would be more desirable to say, instead, that given that the numbers show no improvement in employment its possible that nobody in the study returned to employment.

Arguing that the economy was to blame is taking people for fools. Sure, of all those "recovered" many might not have been able to find work, but all of them, or even most of them? Its very unlikely. Again, this is persuasive rhetoric instead of evidence and reason. Its a lot like "the dog ate my homework".

Of course if nobody or nearly none of them really recovered then its no surprise there was no improvement in employment. The recovery threshold was, after all, in the range of the typical 80 year old based on SF36PF.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Hi Trish, in reply to someone else making this point on Facebook, Nancy Blake replied:

"The Editor of Positive Health has been kind enough to provide me with a platform for publication even though I'm neither a PhD or an MD. So I do what I can!!"

I don't know about NLP as a form of psychotherapy in mental health, but from what I know of Nancy Blake through Facebook groups, her knowledge of ME as a disease and the political issues, is sound and well expressed.

These are her books on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nancy-Blake-BA-CQSW/e/B0089NS0RK/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Here is a guest editorial, 'A Radical Care Pathway for ME/CFS' on NHS Managers Network:
    http://www.nhsmanagers.net/guest-editorials/a-radical-care-pathway-for-mecfs/
    (think the date of the above is Oct. 2013 but not certain)

13. Invisible Woman

I found this:
    "Information on overall receipt of state sickness or disability benefits failed to support a recovery – with the PACE trial cost analysis study (McCrone et al., 2012) reporting: ‘Receipt of benefits due to illness or disability increased slightly from baseline to follow-up’.

Information on return to some form of meaningful employment or education status was never sought. This was dismissed by the investigators as not being relevant."

Written by @charles shepherd about half way down:
    http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...d-journal-of-health-psychology-10-april-2017/

I reckon I've seen something elsewhere though...

Hutan, slysaint and alex3619 like this.
  14. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Was it here maybe, 23 OCTOBER 2015: http://www.virology.ws/2015/10/23/trial-by-error-iii/

MEMum, Hutan, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  15. Invisible Woman

I think that's probably the one. Thanks @Jo Best! :thumbsup:

Jo Best and MEMum like this.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Unfortunately we do not have individual-level data so we can't say that everyone who was not employed at the start of the trial was also not employed at the end.

Sean, alex3619, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  17. Griffin

Griffin

London, UK
    Excellent article. Though I struggled to read it all, but that's down to ME!

I thought the original outcome for PACE was going to be measured on return to employment, but that was dropped when they changed the protocol. On this point, it's worth remembering the DWP put £5 mill. into the trial and an interest in the outcome.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  18. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

Arguing that the economy was to blame is speculating on new assessment criteria not declared at the beginning of the trial. Oh, damn that always happens...

MEMum and Invisible Woman like this.
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't recall anything along the lines of what you are saying.

The employment data and information on disability payments and similar was published:
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0040808

Valentijn likes this.
  20. Griffin

Griffin

London, UK
    I can see the article talks about lost employment. But I was talking about the PACE trial itself.

ME Association
    It’s time for an independent review of the PACE Trial methods and results’ | Dr Charles Shepherd, Journal of Health Psychology | 10 April 2017

Bit of a tangent to the discussion. Foggy Brain!

The article's results and conclusion talk about reduced healthcare costs but not employment.

Table 2 shows number of days Lost Employment at pre-trial and 12 month follow up. This is not the same as return to employment.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.