International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medically Unexplained Symptoms: A Treacherous Foundation for Somatoform Disorders?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 19, 2017.

1. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    The promoters of psychosomatic illness appear to have a very strong belief in its existence. Presumably they also have superior intellects, given their long lists of degrees, titles, awards, and accolades, in addition to their insufferable arrogance.

It should be child's play for people so willing to force ill children into locked wards to simply think the wrong thoughts and give themselves a psychosomatic illness. After they magically create illness in themselves, they can just quit thinking the wrong thoughts, start thinking the right thoughts, and thereby cure their illness. After all, if Barry Marshall can drink a beaker of H. pylori to prove its existence, surely these learned psychiatrists can make a similar sacrifice for science?

I suggest they start with IBS, since it can be objectively measured with tests such as the "barostat", where balloons are stuffed up the butt and inflated until the subject cries "Uncle!". No I'm not making this up:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=klooker tk and "mast cell stabiliser"
    Of course, they could save themselves a lot of trouble and simply read the research on IBS and mast cells. But that might affect their prestige and profits.

Art Vandelay and xrayspex like this.

See more popular forum discussions.