Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medical School lists CFS as a mental disorder

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Min, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Min

Min Guest

UK
    http://www.hyms.ac.uk/research/mental-health.aspx

Hull Medical School in the UK

if you go to 'contact' at the bottom of the page you can email them a complaint

2. mon me

mon me

Autism is a recognised neurological disorder so I don't understand why they've included that on their list. Unfortunately, CFS was never defined as neurological so it's no wonder it's included. Unless they are confusing neurological and mental illnesses as the same?

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi mon me, CFS is generally considered a neuroimmune condition. The disease ME is however much more specific: its neurological, and defined as such. Perhaps one of the historians on Phoenix can flesh this out. There are also plenty of sites and articles that discuss this. One of the failings of the UK Oxford definition of CFS is it has no required neurological findings for diagnosis. This has long been a major criticism of the Oxford definition as it makes the definition synonymous with ideopathic chronic fatigue and not ME.

Bye
    Alex

4. justinreilly

justinreilly Senior Member

NYC (& RI)
    sent an email.

5. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    When I first saw this I was not in the US? phew, I know we have many Drs that still think it is psychological, like Fibromyalgia.

Wish you the best in fighting this fight!

GG

6. Jill McLaughlin

Jill McLaughlin

Well it can be. Reality check. Even Fukuda def can include pts with psych problems. CFS does not strictly define a neurological illness and
    does NOT describe ME. So if this Coalition proposal goes through, all will be inclusive. So get used to it.

See more popular forum discussions.