1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medical Research Council's ME/CFS Literature Review

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by filfla4, May 24, 2010.

1. filfla4

filfla4 Senior Member

I came across this literature review and thought it might be of interest. http://www.mrc.ac.uk/Utilities/Documentrecord/index.htm?d=MRC006509

This was prepared for a workshop by the Medical Research Council (UK) held in November 2009.

A search on Scopus was run using the following search terms and limits:
    Limits
    Articles published or entered onto Scopus from 2004 2009.
    Search Terms
    A search was run using the following search terms:
    CFS/ME OR chronic fatigue syndrome OR myalgic encephalomyelitis OR myalgic
    encephalopathy.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Yikes! It is a 351-page collection of abstracts over the last five years, completely unsummarised, about two per page. Still, at least it exists!
  3. filfla4

filfla4 Senior Member

Yep, I gave up going through it but I thought I should post it, just in case some brighter brain than mine will find it useful! :)
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Yes, good catch! Thanks for posting it - it's good that the MRC are at least doing something!
  5. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Thanks so much, filfla4. This is great.

It is searchable, and the abstracts are categorized in the following sections:

Autonomic dysfunction including cardiovascular abnormalities
    Epidemiology and phenotyping
    Fatigue and exercise
    Genetics and new technological platforms
    Imaging
    Immune dysregulation and infection
    Neuroendocrinology
    Neuropsychology
    Pain
    Sleep
    Social and behavioral aspects
    Treatment
    Other
  6. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

They used a service called Scopus to get these references. I am not familiar with Scopus so I don't know what databases it does or doesn't cover. (Any librarians here?) This is important because I find many times, great CFS research articles are not Pubmed-indexed and miss being reviewed anywhere.

For most scientific reviews, the people doing the review usually have some details about the databases and how they went about their search described somewhere (e.g. keywords used, exclusion criteria, etc.) as this has an impact on what the pick or don't pick up.

See more popular forum discussions.