• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Medical Nemesis: The Cycle of Physician-Caused Anger, Despair and Death"

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/...e-of-physician-caused-anger-despair-and-death

Excerpt:
...An American Journal of Medicine study (February 2015) about the effects of doctor communications on a small sample of pain patients reported that a lack of understanding and acceptance can create anger and distress. Invalidated patients reported feeling dismissed and disbelieved, resulting in hopelessness and anger. In an interview with the study's lead author Maddy Greville-Harris, she stated, "Our earlier work too, suggests that receiving non-understanding feedback can have very powerful effects."

A generation ago, the idea that invalidating, incongruent, catch-22 and double bindcommunications from authorities - be they military commanders, doctors or parents - could be "crazy making" was mainstream discourse among my fellow psychologists. However, Big Pharma drug sales benefit from a strictly biochemical view of mental illness, and a major agenda of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is to abolish "parent/authority blaming" with regard to mental illness; drug companies have funded NAMI, which has successfully made it politically incorrect to discuss communication by authorities as one potential cause of disturbing behaviors...

Sean

A generation ago, the idea that invalidating, incongruent, catch-22 and double bind communications from authorities - be they military commanders, doctors or parents - could be "crazy making" was mainstream discourse among my fellow psychologists.

Well past time it was back at the centre of the discussion again.