Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medical Hypotheses: Autoimmunity in Post Lyme disease

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by jpcv, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

So in summary, this autoimmune hypothesis of chronic Lyme says that:

Borrelia burgdorferi enolase ➤ triggers autoimmune attack on gamma enolase in neurons ➤ blocks the brain's energy metabolism (as enolase is involved in glycolysis) ➤ causes the symptoms of chronic Lyme (such as brain fog, fatigue and pain).

It is interesting to note that in primate studies, Borrelia burgdorferi have been shown to form a chronic antibiotic-resistant infections; so chronic Borrelia infections in Lyme patients could be constantly driving the autoimmune attack on gamma enolase.

Mel9, MEMum and Isaiah 58:11 like this.
  3. jpcv

jpcv Senior Member

SE coast, Brazil
    Very interesting theory, I don't know much about Lyme because it's not a important disease where I live, nevertheless the similarities of symptoms with ME/cfs deserves some considerations that maybe some infectious agent caused some disturbance in the organism that can lead to a chronic disease (ME) even in the absence of active infection.

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

That's a possibility, though it might also be possible that this autoimmune response hypothesized to cause chronic Lyme is being maintained by the constant presence of low levels of persistent infection.

A similar infection-induced autoimmune theory for ME/CFS was proposed by Prof Peter Behan in the 1980s: he suggested that enterovirus may trigger an autoimmune attack on mitochondria that leads to ME/CFS. I wrote a thread on his autoimmune theory of ME/CFS.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Mel9 and jpcv like this.

See more popular forum discussions.