1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Media Links - no discussion

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Summer, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Summer

Summer Senior Member

In this video blog, Paul G. Auwaerter, MD, MBA, describes a newly published report of a potential link between a recently discovered virus and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Video Blog Here
  2. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
  3. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

NYT Consults with Dr Klimas Nov 24 09

Expert Answers on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome NYTimes

4. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Keeping the Crosswords Puzzling Metronews Nov 23 09

Tom Kindlon sent this to CO-CURE

Keeping the crosswords puzzling

5. Summer

Summer Senior Member

Cleveland Clinic conference puts spotlight on XMRV link with chronic fatigue syndrome

6. Summer

Summer Senior Member

Scientific Consensus is Building Towards XMRV as Causal Agent of ME/CFS

7. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

New Zealand Herald

November 29, 2009

Chronic fatigue cause unlocked by Alice Neville in the NZ Herald

8. JayS

JayS

9. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
  10. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

This is despicable. I sent a 2 page letter to Oz, detailing the differences btw CFS and fatigue, in addition to the hundreds others he's received, and here he is reducing CFS to fatigue, and an immune system that can be pepped up with exercise.

And the fucking anchor, with that chipper "Aw shucks, I think I must have that virus!" grin on her face is unbelievable.

I want to see them treat AIDS or Cancer like that.
  11. glenp

glenp "and this too shall pass"

Vancouver Canada suburbs
  12. JayS

JayS

13. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
  14. Summer

Summer Senior Member

15. Hysterical Woman

Hysterical Woman Senior Member

East Coast
  16. Summer

Summer Senior Member

17. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Futures in Biotech podcast

*Highly recommended*. A new podcast with guest virologist Vincent Racaniello of the Virology Blog. He is very enthusiastic about XMRV and optimistic for treatment. The XMRV section begins around 30 minutes in.

http://www.virology.ws/2009/12/09/futures-in-biotech-50-more-biotech-stories/

Highlights of the discussion:

"…Chronic Fatigue of course is a very serious debilitating disease characterized by immune activation, persistent fatigue, and possibly several percent of the world's population is affected by it…It could be that 3-4% of the world's population have this virus, and who knows what kind of disease it's going to cause…Maybe relatively recently, maybe in the last 50 years, who knows, the virus went form a mouse to a human and it started replicating in the human and spreading from human to human…We have never tested blood for this virus, because we didn't know about it, and it's possible that 4% of the blood supply of the world is contaminated with this…That's like a home run. A scientific home run…It's almost like overnight there's a potential cure [for CFS]…"

(I love hearing this from someone with no investment in CFS one way or the other.:))
  18. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    XMRV on MSNBC

This just up on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34225362/ns/local_news-reno_nv/

Reno laboratory offers diagnostic testing for retrovirus
    Last month scientists at Reno's Whittemore Peterson Institute and the Cleveland Clinic published the results of a study that found the retrovirus XMRV present in more than 95 percent of chronic fatigue...

I think they might still be loading it up - I can't read past the above.
  19. Summer

Summer Senior Member

Dr. David Bell Lauds 'extraordinary' study

Pediatrician lauds 'extraordinary' study

20. Summer

Summer Senior Member

UNR virus discovery could lead to new drugs, treatment

The story in 2009: A team of researchers of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute at the University of Nevada, Reno discovered a new bug that can be transmitted via blood and other human fluids.

Judy Mikovits and Vince Lombardi, the institutes two lead researchers, discovered a link between a new infectious human retrovirus dubbed XMRV and people who have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Why it matters: The discovery of XMRV could provide doctors with the means to actually diagnose patients as having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a mysterious illness which has multiple symptoms and now is diagnosed by eliminating possible other causes. Finding the retrovirus in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome also could lead to the development of drugs to treat it and other neuroimmune diseases.

Were very hopeful that within the year, we will begin to see clinical drug trials for XMRV-related diseases such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, fibromyalgia and many other unknown diseases, said Annette Whittemore, founder and president of the Whittemore-Peterson Institute.

What the skeptics say: Although the Reno researchers discovery underwent strenuous peer review before their study was published in the world renown scientific journal Science in October, protocol requires their findings be duplicated by other independent studies.

We are continuing to work with the National Cancer Institute and many other individual researchers, Whittemore said. We also are doing confirmation studies of additional Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients with other countries, including Sweden, Norway and the United Kingdom, as well as many scientists across the United States.

The Whittemore-Peterson Institutes study that found the new human retrovirus was listed as one of the top 100 scientific discoveries in 2009 in Discovery magazines January issue.

Whats ahead in 2010: Pharmaceutical companies are working to develop drugs that could be used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferers, and clinical drug trials could begin within the year, Whittemore said.

She said the federal government is giving the National Cancer Institute funding to conduct further research into the human retrovirus. Whittemore hopes such funding eventually will be extended to private institutions.

We were told back in Washington, D.C., it could take up to five years before that kind of public funding becomes available because this is a new area of research, she said.
    Were hopeful that situation will change and the Obama administration will make this research a priority. Then the Whittemore-Peterson Institute could begin to make an application for the funding in 2010.

Mikovits has become a member of a national group trying to develop a standardized blood test to be used by all government agencies in the United States to detect XMRV to protect the national blood supply, Whittemore said.

See more popular forum discussions.