1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Media Coverage of Dr. Alters NIH paper, post stories here

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by LJS, Aug 23, 2010.

1. akrasia

akrasia Senior Member

The Corriere della Sera article is a translation of David Tuller's article in the NY Times.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just went to the Daily Mail article to see if they had published the comment I posted around 1pm. They haven't published any comments at all (must all be awaiting moderation) but they have updated the article: the stuff at the bottom with the quotes from AfME calling for UK govt research is new.

It's promising that they're updating - they're obviously starting to do their own investigating beyond the contents of the press release. I'm pleased to see it.
  3. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

this is amazing news, if it is true!!! thanks for posting.

4. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

what a GREAT job the starter of this tread is doing, keeping that list of media articles!
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    If only Tiger Woods hadn't chosen yesterday to announce his divorce!
  6. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

the comments on the washington post article are HORRIBLE

Washington Post: Chronic fatigue study points to retrovirus
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I remember a lot of horrible stuff when the Science study was in the papers online last October. We have to remember that there are plenty of sociopaths on the internet who love nothing more than to try to hurt people at a distance, behind a cloak of anonymity. They probably trawl the net looking for people to upset. Their opinions are worthless. They're not representative.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Yes to World-Wide Panic :)

Hi Sickofcfs, perhaps it's my "Inner Revolutionary" speaking, but I kind of wouldn't mind at least a little bit of world-wide panic. :cool::Retro wink:
  9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Can't remember if anyone provided a link to Bloomberg's coverage of the paper - here it is.
  10. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    You're right, there are an awful lot of psychologically sick people out there, and it isn't us, it's the idiots that leave comments such as: "Maybe the people are just tired and lazy. I know I feel this way sometimes, especially the older I get." and then get recommended for it. :Retro mad:
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just read it - interesting that they lead on which companies manufacture the most promising ARVs! That's Bloomberg's for you.
  12. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

13. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    Jemal,
    I also read it in Dutch and it really seems that there is another study done by De Meirleir... great nieuws ! let's hope he will reveal the results in the September presentation in Belgium.
  14. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
  15. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Me neither -- a little bit, anyway. Unfortunately, the governments don't seem to agree with us on this one. ;)
  16. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

But the Governments aren't reporting it- Journalists are. Some of the articles mention the risk to the Blood Supply, but it doesn't seem to raise many eyebrows.

I don't quite get it.
  17. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

ME/CFS has been dismissed so many times that it is now second nature. This is going to be a steep uphill battle to reverse years of prejudice and pseudo-skepticism. We are going to hear the "correlation is not causation" argument ad infinitum to dismiss this study and even future studies which do suggest causation. Also, much of the world may be suffering from "pandemic fatigue" after how Swine Flu turned out.
  18. LaurieM

LaurieM

UK
    The odd thing about this is that just 6 weeks ago the Independent was the only UK mainstream that was reporting on the conflict arising between the CDC and NIH studies and it caused a great deal of interest - surely they should be following up their own story.
  19. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US

Look under Washington Wire. That's where I found it. My computer is so s l o w today.
  20. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    True, but government-paid scientists and their political superiors are reporting it. I'm not suggesting that they're lying -- certainly not Alter, Lo, et al -- but that everyone involved is encouraged to put a soft spin on it for the purpose of avoiding a panic. FDA, NIH, CDC don't scream "Blood supply is contaminated with a retrovirus!", so the media doesn't see it. YET. Some journalist will start digging and find out that ME/CFS is more than being a little tired, and that "mouse virus" means an immune affecting (infecting?) retrovirus, and so on. But it will take some time so the public can adjust slowly to this news.

See more popular forum discussions.