• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Media Coverage of Dr. Alters NIH paper, post stories here

Dolphin

Komaroff should have stopped them from using the Holmes criteria for this study (since it was his samples they used- collected in 1994 when Holmes was in use). That's ridiculous.
(I haven't followed this thread so may have missed something) Not sure what you are saying? What definition are you saying he should have used?

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Science magazine - "New XMRV paper looks good, skeptics admit ..etc"

Martin Enserink is on the case at Science magazine, thank goodness.

I have posted a separate thread on this (under XMRV research, publications I think).

Science 27 August 2010:
Vol. 329. no. 5995, p. 1000
DOI: 10.1126/science.329.5995.1000
Prev | Table of Contents | Next

News of the Week

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:
New XMRV Paper Looks Good, Skeptics AdmitYet Doubts Linger

Martin Enserink

This week, a long-awaited paper by U.S. government labs about the link between a virus and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) finally saw the light of day. The study confirms a controversial 2009 paper that reported CFS patients are often infected with the virus, called XMRV. Since then, four other studies have failed to duplicate those findings. Even skeptics are impressed by how much care the authors of the new study took to ensure accuracy. But that makes it even more baffling why some labs easily detect the virus while others can't find a trace of it in any patient.

Read the Full Text

Link here but not to full Text:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/329/5995/1000

Does anyone have full access please?

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Also posted on the 'UK Media' thread:

Posted on the MEA site from the Health pages of the 'Edinburgh Evening News'

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/inde...ews&Itemid=161

Most of this is a personal ME story about one woman's struggle with the illness, but about 7 paragraphs up from the end is a reference to the Alter/Lo MLV discovery.

"The causes of ME - also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - are unknown, but earlier this week scientists in America revealed they had found evidence of murine leukaemia virus - known to cause cancer in mice - in 86 per cent of sufferers.

Some believe it is caused by a persistent virus which the body's immune system can't fight and that certain people are predisposed to developing it".

Interestingly this lady had Glandular fever during a stressful period in her life, but it was an Hepatitis B virus vaccination in addition that apparently sent her over the edge into M.E. It will be interesting to hear more on the WPI's research about vaccinations possibly triggering XMRV replication.

LaurelW

Today, while I was at the dentist, there was a TV in the room where I was treated (crown installed). While I was unable to say anything, Dr. Oz came on with a segment explaining about panic attacks -- in the vagina. (I swear I'm not making this up.)

:eek:That's it! Dr. Oz has gone off the deep end. He used to be so rational and forward thinking. He has morphed into more and more of a sound-bite spouting, get-the-ratings kind of doctor. It seems he has taken a step back 200 years into uterus-related hysteria being the cause of all female afflictions.

On the tiny island of Malta, we've been working hard to get newspaper coverage (myself and two other members of my local support group). So far we've had articles in Malta Today and The Times of Malta. Today's was the most prominent coverage....several of us have put in comments which will appear later in the day, giving further info. http://www.timesofmalta.com/article...atigue-syndrome-sufferers-cannot-donate-blood

Good work filfla4.

I just came upon one of those articles following my own googling.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
From Emory Health Blog

Link here http://www.emoryhealthsciblog.com/

A family of troublemakers known as XMRV
September 2, 2010

A long-delayed paper on the connection between chronic fatigue syndrome and XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) finally surfaced last week in PNAS. Astute readers may recall that XMRV has also been linked to prostate cancer.

Detecting XMRV in prostate tissue. A variety of assays (neutralizing antibodies, polymerase chain reaction or fluorescence in situ hybridization) may be used to look for XMRV

The twist from last weeks paper is that the NIH/FDA team, led by Harvey Alter, didnt find viruses all with the same sequence in chronic fatigue patients. Instead, they found a cluster of closely related, but different, viruses. While confusing, these results may explain why tests for the presence of the virus that are based on viral DNA sequences may have generated varying (and conflicting) results. An alternative assay based on antibodies, such as the one urologist John Petros and colleagues at Emory developed, may be useful because it casts a wider net.

Pathologist Hinh Ly has been diving into the XMRV field, with a recent paper in Journal of Virology describing what gateway (receptor) molecule the virus uses to sneak into cells and what kinds of cells in the prostate it can infect.

In a collaboration with Ila Singh at the University of Utah, antiviral drug expert Raymond Schinazi has found that a number of drugs active against HIV also stop XMRV. This offers some hope that if doctors can detect members of the XMRV family, and figure out what theyre up to, they might be able to combat the troublemakers as well.