• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Measurement of Aldehydes?

pemone

Is there a third party test that will measure aldehydes in the blood?

Krebs (the same Krebs who won the Nobel prize for his work on the Krebs cycle) has a famous paper showing how NAD+/NADH ratio in the mitochondria can be approximated by the ratio of acetoacetate / beta-hydroxybutyrate. There are test kits available to measure acetoacetate in blood, and of course measurement of beta-hydroxybutyrate is easy with any handheld ketone tester. The problem is the technology used for acetoacetate measurement can be fooled by the presence of aldehydes, so what I am really trying to do is exclude the presence of significant amounts of any aldehyde in the blood.

I found this aldehyde test kit, but I don't think that would be suitable to measure across all possible aldehydes you might find in blood. Are there any test strips for human blood available, and if not are there any commercial labs that can look across all known major aldehydes in blood and provide you a quantitative measurement?