• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Meaningless Rickettsia results?

Gondwanaland

Just got my husband's Rickettsia results:

RICKETSIA RICKETTSII IGG antibodies
Indirect immunofluorescence (blood)
<1:40 (negative= <1:64)

RICKETSIA RICKETTSII IGM antibodies
Indirect immunofluorescence (blood)
<1:10 (negative= <1:64)

I find it funny that there is a specific number above which one can be considered ill (>1:64)

Any input on these results anyone?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
These are rather odd figures. They are dilutions and the figure given will be the highest dilution at which an immunfluorescent signal can be detected. What is odd is that dilutions go in doublings, so they are often
1:10, 1:20, 1:40. 1:80, 1:160 or
1:4, 1:8, 1:16, 1:32, 1:64

So having results of 1:10 or 1:40 with a reference cut off of 1:64 does not make much sense.

I cannot say how the reference cut off is arrived at but would expect it to indicate the level below which the great majority of normal controls are found or some statistically calculated level that best distinguishes known cases from controls. It would not be intended to be interpreted as 'ill or not' on its own I think - it would contribute to a physician's evaluation of the probability of infection.

I'm with @Jonathan Edwards the reference range does not make sense with the patient result. The patient testing should be done in the same manner as the reference interval. I'd raise this issue to the lab, since you are paying for this test, and have them explain and/or repeat the test with appropriate controls. I am a pathologist and former lab director, so this is an area I have some experience with.