• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Meaning of deficiency in TCM

I have noticed that alot of people here has no idea what is meant by deficiency in the Eastern sense. It is a common misconception that when deficiency is talked about, everyone tends to think of deficiency in the common Western dictionary definition, for instance a lack of mineral, vitamin or energy in general. This is a totally wrong concept. "Deficiency" in Eastern/TCM meaning has an entirely different meaning. "Deficiency" in the TCM definition also produces "Excess". It is so complicated that i shall not explain here but give a link which gives you a start to The start of the Eastern outlook of "Deficiency" causing (but not all) illnesses, along with "Excess".

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/principles/application2yinyang.html

For a Beginner view into TCM and it's principles, one would take it further and read on your own until the part whereby "Deficiency Causes Excess" Principle. I would be lying if i say that i can even condense a beginning understanding for Eastern medicine when it has more than 3,000 years history of documented medical texts and practice in Asia. Good luck on your long reading journey ahead :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Effi

thanks for sharing, @wintersky ! I was into macrobiotics for a while (before I got sick) so I'm familiar with the concept of yin deficiency/yang excess and vice versa. The yin-yang balance is something you can apply to pretty much everything in life (not just health and nutrition). The perfect yin-yang balance is pretty much unattainable as far as I can remember, so it's like a lifelong balancing act...