Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

MEA - We settle our differences with the Daily Telegraph over October 28 stories | 19 November 2015

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by worldbackwards, Nov 19, 2015.

1. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    moosie, SOC, Yogi and 2 others like this.
  2. adreno

adreno PR activist

They did report that, but it is unsupported by evidence, which both The Telegraph and The MEA should make clear.

mango, Esther12, moosie and 6 others like this.
  3. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Even the correction is inaccurate
    The study didn't show that CBT and GET alleviate symptoms since it was a null result.

Hutan, Esther12, moosie and 5 others like this.
  4. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

The study showed the opposite. All four groups improved by the same amount; therefore, the effect of CBT and GET over SMC alone was nil.

Hutan, Esther12, moosie and 7 others like this.
  5. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    According to the MEA magazine IPSO were prepared to ignore this altogether, so I suspect this is something of a compromise. On the upside, Charles Shepperd gets an article where he can clarify the points more forcefully.

I wonder where Frederick Barclay was in all this? No one's rich enough to opt out of the damage from PACE.

Woolie, Art Vandelay, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  7. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    Thank you for your hard work on our behalf! @charles shepherd It is much appreciated.

Woolie, leela, moosie and 4 others like this.
  8. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Thank you @charles shepherd for this -really appreciated. It is a shame that you and our charities have to do this and spend your limited time and resources solving problems caused by the PACE trial investigators and the Science Media Centre whose responsibility is reporting on science accurately. They should have been the ones to to make sure that the their research in their names was accurately reported. Why did PACE PI's not do anything?

Woolie, leela, Kyla and 5 others like this.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I think that the correction is worse than nothing. We'll have to see about the rest of it.

10. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Can we complain to IPSO about the correction since its inaccurate

leela, Daisymay and Esther12 like this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    @charles shepherd, I don't think you make the point that James Coyne has made (convincingly!) which is that the data don't support the authors' conclusions at all - they show that CBT, GET and APT have no effect at long-term follow-up. The journalist has just uncritically repeated the authors' baseless interpretation.

Will you have the chance to say that?

12. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

@charles shepherd

I have never seen the vested interests of the PACE trial and the PI's ever mentioned in a mainstream news article.

Given you have this GREAT opportunity can you please please refer to the insurance consultancy roles of Michael Sharpe and Chief Medical Officer role of Peter White and that this was the 1st ever medical research trial funded by the DWP.

These are SHOCKING facts and if this does not make the public and other journalists to sit up and take notice then absolutely nothing will!!!!!!

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.