• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA - We settle our differences with the Daily Telegraph over October 28 stories | 19 November 2015

adreno

PR activist
CLARIFICATION: This article originally stated that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) is not actually a chronic illness. In fact, the University of Oxford study reported that Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can alleviate symptoms of the condition but did not say that it was not chronic. We are happy to make this clear, and the article has been amended. The ME Association opposes GET on the basis that it can exacerbate symptoms, and says that the use of CBT as a primary treatment strategy is based on the flawed belief that ME/CFS is a psychological problem.
They did report that, but it is unsupported by evidence, which both The Telegraph and The MEA should make clear.

user9876

Even the correction is inaccurate
CLARIFICATION: This article originally stated that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) is not actually a chronic illness. In fact, the University of Oxford study reported that Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) can alleviate symptoms of the condition but did not say that it was not chronic. We are happy to make this clear, and the article has been amended. The ME Association opposes GET on the basis that it can exacerbate symptoms, and says that the use of CBT as a primary treatment strategy is based on the flawed belief that ME/CFS is a psychological problem.

The study didn't show that CBT and GET alleviate symptoms since it was a null result.

worldbackwards

According to the MEA magazine IPSO were prepared to ignore this altogether, so I suspect this is something of a compromise. On the upside, Charles Shepperd gets an article where he can clarify the points more forcefully.

I wonder where Frederick Barclay was in all this? No one's rich enough to opt out of the damage from PACE.

Yogi

Thank you @charles shepherd for this -really appreciated. It is a shame that you and our charities have to do this and spend your limited time and resources solving problems caused by the PACE trial investigators and the Science Media Centre whose responsibility is reporting on science accurately. They should have been the ones to to make sure that the their research in their names was accurately reported. Why did PACE PI's not do anything?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@charles shepherd, I don't think you make the point that James Coyne has made (convincingly!) which is that the data don't support the authors' conclusions at all - they show that CBT, GET and APT have no effect at long-term follow-up. The journalist has just uncritically repeated the authors' baseless interpretation.

Will you have the chance to say that?

Yogi

@charles shepherd

I have never seen the vested interests of the PACE trial and the PI's ever mentioned in a mainstream news article.

Given you have this GREAT opportunity can you please please refer to the insurance consultancy roles of Michael Sharpe and Chief Medical Officer role of Peter White and that this was the 1st ever medical research trial funded by the DWP.

These are SHOCKING facts and if this does not make the public and other journalists to sit up and take notice then absolutely nothing will!!!!!!

Thank you.

Last edited: