• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA and AfME: New research puts immune research and mitochondria in ME/CFS under the microscope

Firestormm

14 May 2014

New research puts immune research and mitochondria in ME/CFS under the microscope

UK charities the ME Association and Action for M.E. announced this week that they will co-fund a biomedical research project to investigate immune responses in people Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.), sometimes diagnosed as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

The 16-month study, led by Prof Stephen Todryk, Professor of Immunology, Department of Applied Sciences, Northumbria University, will look at the way immune responses act, particularly against infections, in people with ME/CFS.

“Because many different known diseases also have fatigue as one of their symptoms, this suggests that several processes may come into play to cause it,” explained Prof Todryk.

“Uncontrolled immune responses appear to be important in fatigue, and infections – that’s viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites – are major initiators of immune responses, some of which are associated with ME/CFS.”

Currently there is no single diagnostic test for ME/CFS, or specific targeted pharmaceutical treatment.

“We want work out if those immune responses can be used to diagnose M.E./CFS, and if they can be targeted for treatment,” says Prof Todryk, who plans to recruit patients from the Newcastle NHS M.E./CFS services to take part in the study. Action for ME and the ME Association will split the £19,500 cost of this project.

Charles Shepherd, medical adviser to the ME Association, said:

“We are delighted to be co-funding this new research study into how the immune system is functioning in people with ME/CFS. This research will not only help to increase our understanding of immune system dysfunction in ME/CFS; it will also link in with some of the important new findings on immune function that were reported at the IACFS/ME conference in San Francisco in March.”

Read more: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...ia-in-mecfs-under-the-microscope-14-may-2014/

Min

What a shame the GMC stopped the wonderful doctor who was an expert in finding bacteria and parasites in Myalgic encephalomyelitis patients' blood from continuing his work.