1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ME vs "Autoimmune Encephalitis"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Ren, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    Has anyone heard of autoimmune encephalitis and/or understand how this condition is distingished from ME. The FAQ page: https://aealliance.org/faq/ Thanks!

vli, rosie26 and Tito like this.
  2. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Hmm never heard of that before, I have had a pretty bad case of chronic encephalitis from my lyme disease though, complete with hypo perfusion..

It is really intense stuff sometimes thats for sure!

vli likes this.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    My sister had encephalitis and ended up in ICU after having several seizures. I don't think you can compare this to ME.

5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    If there is encephalitis in ME, I don't think it is thought to be severe acute encephalitis as experienced by your sister. I think the thought is there might be subacute encephalitis, which would still cause problems, but not the same ones as acute encephalitis. At the same time, I don't think there's clear evidence of even subacute encephalitis in ME/CFS, but I doubt there's been any good research on the topic either way.

6. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    A spect MRI scan would show any hypo perfusion consisent of possible mild chronic encephalitis..

Also yeah Acute encephalitis is a completely different danger level, and issue then sub acute inflammation and minor hypo perfusion..

I hope your sister is doing well now @TigerLilea

7. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

I think a functional SPECT scan is better. I had horrible brain fog/swelling feeling and my regular SPECT scan was normal!

8. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I got ME from encephalitis. The acute phase was everything you can think encephalitis could be, then once that passed things changed as the ME became predominant. However, I still occasionally get seizure like episodes and still have motor function/proprioception problems that came from the encephalitis.

There are various types of autoimmune encephalitis but as stated earlier, ME is more of a subactute. In autopsies they have done on ME patients they have found capillary inflammation in the brain stem and base of the brain.

vli and merylg like this.

See more popular forum discussions.