• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME Treatment Has Proven Track Record (You read it here first!)

Hi All More Mythomania from the UK. Copied below is a letter published in the letters page of a City newspaper. I have attached a link to this business, and also the centre where it is based, at the bottom.
Visit the links before commenting, it may influence your views!
Regards.

ME treatment has proven track record
I WELCOME the interest of Dr John Greensmith, and any other researcher, in the treatment and recovery of people with ME/CFS. I also welcome any opportunity to formally evaluate the ME Recovery System that I teach and have been in discussion with third parties with a view to establishing just such a study.
Meanwhile, anecdotal evidence suggests that a substantial proportion of people who learn the system recover their health and regain their social, work and family lives. Anecdotal reports may not constitute the sort of evidence required by, say, the NHS and nor should they; something more testable is required before any therapeutic approach can be endorsed. However, that may still be several years away and if I and my clients had awaited it we would still be ill today.
The ME Recovery System has its roots in a number of interventions with a good evidence base mindfulness and cognitive behavioural therapy among them and that are recognised and deployed within the NHS. GPs recommend the system to their patients. Clients come through word of mouth having seen their friends' improvements.
For people to regain their lives it is necessary that this continues to be the case while at the same time a well-designed study evaluates outcomes and, importantly, identifies those for whom the system works well, works moderately or does not work at all.

I look forward to any productive correspondence with Dr Greensmith that will help to improve the lives of people with this illness.
Vanessa Cecil
The Therapeutic Training Company, Innovation Centre, University of Exeter

http://www.therapeutictrainingcompany.co.uk/
http://www.spaceforsuccess.co.uk/

Wonko

who let a duck in here?

edit - a duck spouting LoA mixed with CBT towit

I am not Ill - Quack - I am not Ill - Quack - I am not.....thud

thanks Galena - whilst I find it disturbing that these sorts of projects are still being persued in the UK it gives me confidence in the economy to know the insane can still get funded for such twaddle

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or M.E. is now widely accepted to be a maladaptive stress response

The most recent and gaining popularity is a type of brain training that teaches the patient how to regularise the HPA axis and restore normal functioning. This can quickly lead to full recovery

LOL!!!!! I forsee a thunder storm farmer jones, get the cows in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50DvSWXRm04&feature=player_embedded#!

P.S she appears to have been eating sherbert dip before the video?

V99

In the recent adjournment debate in the house of commons even the health minister said there was no cure.

ixchelkali

From the letter:
if I and my clients had awaited it we would still be ill today

From the website:
Regain and maintain your health
informed by Vanessa Cecil's own experience of, and recovery from, ME/CFS
The ME Recovery System does not simply help patients to manage their illness but aims at full recovery.
Then at the bottom of an inside page:

The ME Recovery System is not an ME cure, nor a fatigue or pain or any other sort of cure, but a training programme.
and
Motivation and commitment to the training and its practice are the keys to success

So if it doesnt work, its because you werent motivated enough or committed enough. Its your fault, not the programmes. You just dont want it badly enough.

And what are Vanessa Cecil's qualifications?
"She qualified in Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP), hypnotherapy, Mindfulness-Based Neurolinguistic Programming (MBNLP), Humanistic Neurolinguistic Psychology (HNLP), Psych-K (PK) and the Lightning Process (LP) and was an advanced LP trainer, and studied Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)"

I wonder why she doesn't offer it to cure, er, recover from AIDS, cancer, MS, or alzheimers? Don't those people have brain plasticity, too?

Min

Good for Dr Greensmith, who has M.E., to keep on trying to educate people about these nonsense and often highly offensive 'cures'.

I more than suspect that those who 'recovered' had not M.E. but psychological fatigue or self-limiting post viral fatigue.

Oh for a diagnostic test to stop the charlatans from profiting from our illness - including the UK psychiatric profession.

drjohn

Thanks to Galena for posting this here and your other supportive commnents. It goes on, as you will see .... If any of you can manage a reply for the newspaper AND also the comments online, it would help to get better coverage in the world outside where they don't alwasy know as we do what is going on.

LETTER, Re: ME treatment has proven track record (Exeter Express & Echo, 11 June)

PERMISSION TO FORWARD, USE IN NEWSLETTERS AND RE POST ON FACEBOOK PAGES

NOW THERE IS NO NEED TO REGISTER OR BE LOGGED IN TO READ LETTERS & NEWS.
JUST CLICK LINK AND IT SHOULD TAKE YOU THERE.
(We have tested these links and they work for us. If you have a problem, for whatever reason, please report it to us and we'll try to fix it)

Re: ME treatment has proven track record (Exeter Express & Echo, 11 June)

To read a letter from Dr John Greensmith
click here http://www.mefreeforall.org/index.php?id=2476#c9873

Any letters in response should be sent to e-mail address
letters@expressandecho.co.uk
that is letters at expressandecho dot co dot uk

Please note the sequence of events: An article, 12 May, free advertising Vanessa Cecil's ME Recovery System, unchallenged that it gives people their lives back. Letter from me (not published in newspaper - I have put it online now). Vanessa's letter is published, 11 June, in newspaper and also online giving impression I approve it and there is proof for it. Now, this letter of mine. I urge as many as can manage to read and understand this sequence and then respond both to the paper and online (it is often a different audience). Repetition of point makes consensus stronger. Please do not leave it to others.

Or just laugh your head off with our joke of the day
here http://www.mefreeforall.org/Jokes.1569.0.html

Cheers
John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
Dr John H Greensmith
ME Free For All. org