1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"ME: The rise and fall of a media sensation" (Patricia de Wolfe, 2009)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Free full text: http://www.medicalsociologyonline.org/archives/files/MSoVol04Issue1.pdf
    or
    http://www.medicalsociologyonline.org/oldsite/archives/issue41/pdwolfe.html

* I gave each sentence its own paragraph.

------

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some people may find this of use if they want a more academic reference for some discussion of media coverage and the like (e.g. some of the psychobabble in the literature).

It doesn't involve numbers or biological theory so for some might be easier to understand than most published articles [and perhaps easier to understand than some sociological material - some writers in the field have seemed to me to concentrate a lot on jargon, big words and phrasings which sound impressive but are not easy to understand (and perhaps even don't make sense but sound good)]. Perhaps because she is a patient she concentrates more on the content.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Patricia de Wolfe's PhD is on ME and can be downloaded for free

Her thesis can be downloaded for free from:
    http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do

Its not easy to copy and paste so there may be errors

I haven't read it so can't comment. People might get an idea whether they'd like to read it by reading "ME: The rise and fall of a media sensation".

4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Thanks Dolphin.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Dolphin, you have to register and purchase for zero cost for this document. It is not legally transferable, but anyone can purchase it for nothing. I read the conclusion, though not yet the full 275 pages, this is a philosophical discourse using social approaches, and is generally sympathetic I think, but is going to be a tough read for the average person. Bye, Alex

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks. Of course, you are talking about the PhD thesis, not the main article in the thread which is just 10 pages.

7. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Yeah I hadn't even thought about reading that thesis! Not in my wildest dreams baby!

10 page history is doable for me at the moment :cool:

8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I remember reading this at the time and thinking (just as the XMRV news broke) that she had chosen the wrong moment to declare it as a "fallen" media sensation.

See more popular forum discussions.